70s Sansui separates ???????????????

Plink

70s Sansui separates ???????????????
« on: 22 Oct 2007, 07:55 pm »
I'm having a bit of a hard time finding any assessments of how good 70s Sansui separates sound.  I'm looking for comparisons or benchmarking to the better offerings out there, be it tube, solid state, or vintage.

I have a line on a CA-2000, BA-2000, and a TU-9900.

All word I've heard at Audiokarma is that they are incredible but nobody wants to provide comparisons or benchmarks to other gear.

How do they compare to McIntosh, Fisher, Scott, Bryston, NAD, etc...?

I'm okay with blatant generalities or negative comments.  Just looking for some feedback here.  I really have no idea on this equipment.

Thanks.

Plink

Re: 70s Sansui separates ???????????????
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2007, 08:56 pm »
I appreciate your insight.

I think it's important to assess gear on it's own and this seems to be how most vintage enthusiasts go about things.

But, for someone like me who doesn't have experience with everything, it's nice to see where these pieces fit or stand up against other gear.  Other than Audiokarma or the Sansui tuners, the gear doesn't seemed to be discussed that much.

I'm mainly getting this stuff the tuner (package deal) and I've been told by *everyone* that the tuner is amazing.  If I like the separates well enough, I'll keep them for another system.

BeatleFred

• Sansui BA-5000/Infinity Renaissance 90
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2007, 12:25 am »
I think you would be quite pleased with these models, they are all excellent, and were made at a time
when Sansui was at their peak. In addition to the BA-2000, they made the BA-3000 (170 Watts),
and the BA-5000,  (108 lbs, 300 Watts!) -> truly an awesome amplifier!  The TU-9900 tuner
has always had an excellent reputation as being one of the best tuners ever made.
So, its hard to go wrong with these models, just as long as the equipment was
properly maintained by the previous owner(s). Its always a good idea to get
as much background Info as possible from the seller and make sure everything
works properly.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:00 pm »
i presently own a refurb'd & modded to the hilt tu-9900; you may find something as good, but you will be hard pressed to significantly better it, regardless of how much you pay.  including the uber super-tuner, both past & present.  i also own a refurb'd, modded sansui tu-x1, so i know.   :wink:  (as well as a coupla other tunas, even less expensive than the tu-9900, that are as good, imo. aa )  i once owned a stock tu-9900; it, too, was a fantastic sounding tuna.

re: the amplification stuff, i never owned any sansui separates; but i once owned an au-717; & i presently own an au11000.  both these integrated amps are near as good as it gets, imo - for solid state.   :wink:  i still prefer tubes, especially for preamps.  but, these integrated amps have preamp outs/main inputs, which allow you to actively bi-amp - w/an outboard x-over, you can use a tube amp for your mains, the sansui's amp for the subs, & the sansui integrated will be controlling everything...

doug s.