Break in question

Brucemck

Break in question
« on: 22 Oct 2007, 03:09 am »

An odd question, but one that's bugged me for years ...

Can you get past the long hours of playing to break in a source component's caps (etc.) by connecting it to a preamp (or amp) that's turned on but disconnected or muted ... or does music have to be playing through the speakers?  If so, does the preamp even need to be turned on? 

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
Re: Break in question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2007, 10:28 am »
No, you don't have to play music through your speakers to break in a source component.  For example, you may connect resistors to the speakers cords and play as long as you wish, though if it is an RWA product you need to be aware of battery time!  Vinnie can tell you exactly which resistors he would recommend.  You can pick them up at Radio Shack for pennies on the dollar.

Another method -- and apparently a much speedier one -- is to use a break-in CD and play it overnight.  6 Moons recently favorably reviewed a new one by Isotek.  Here's the link: <http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html>.  I had to order it from Genesis Speakers (Joanne Venezio <joanne@genesisloudspeakers.com> of Genesis Advanced Technologies in Seattle, Washington) because it isn't available in retail or even on shopping sites on the Internet.  Srajan Ebaen, the prolific and engaging 6 Moons reviewer who graces this forum from time to time, reports that a 24-hour spin equates to a few hundred hours of play.  I believe someone on the forum has used the CD and says it lives up to the hype.  Once I get my Signature 30.2, I'll be using this CD.

Good luck!

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2007, 10:41 am »

But what if I don't connect resistors ... if I merely mute the preamp or the amp instead?

Could I break in a new CD player by playing on repeat the break in CD having the CD player connected to a muted preamp?

Flashman

• Devialet Expert 220 Pro and Vivd Oval 1.5s
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2007, 12:50 pm »
Good question.  I think you can break-in a source component by playing a CD and then muting the pre-amp or the amp so it doesn't feed the speakers (this assumes you don't want to break-in the speaker cables or speakers).  But I am on fragile ground here... anyone else?

IronLion

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2007, 12:55 pm »
As far as I know thats correct; so long as the component you want to break-in is operating the way it should within a system the other components downstream of it don't have to be turned on. 

Good question.  I think you can break-in a source component by playing a CD and then muting the pre-amp or the amp so it doesn't feed the speakers (this assumes you don't want to break-in the speaker cables or speakers).  But I am on fragile ground here... anyone else?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2007, 01:02 pm »

An odd question, but one that's bugged me for years ...

Can you get past the long hours of playing to break in a source component's caps (etc.) by connecting it to a preamp (or amp) that's turned on but disconnected or muted ... or does music have to be playing through the speakers?  If so, does the preamp even need to be turned on? 

Hi Brucemck,

Yes, you can connect your source to your preamp to break-in the source.  The power amp does not need to be turned on.

Just make sure that on the input selectd of your preamp, it is selected to the input of the source that you are breaking in.  If this is done via a mechanical switch, you might not even have to turn on the preamp.  If the switching is done via relay, you will need to turn on your preamp to allow it to switch.

Even better would be to get a pair of RCA jacks and solder a 10k resistor across each one, and use that instead of your preamp (unless your preamp's input impedance is 10k  :icon_lol:).  For example, if your preamp's input impedance is 100k, using a 10k resistor instead will draw 10x the current from your source... better for break-in IMO!

Hope this helps!

Vinnie

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2008, 12:37 am »
Same Topic, Different components, Different ACer....

How's this for a break in plan for both a Signature 30.2 AMP and a Modwright Pre-Amp ?
This may be obvious but just to confirm....

Connect a source CD player to the pre-amp which is connected to the RWA 30.2. Play various CDs (different every day) on repeat mode.

Source > Pre > Amp  BUT without speakers, or does the AMP need the speaker's impedance to properly break in?

Thanks,
Ed

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2008, 12:40 am »

How's this for a break in plan for both a Signature 30.2 AMP and a Modwright Pre-Amp ?

Connect a source CD player to the pre-amp which is connected to the RWA 30.2. Play various CDs (different every day) on repeat mode.

Source > Pre > Amp  BUT without speakers, or does the AMP need the speaker's impedance to properly break in?

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

The amp definitely needs a load connected to the speaker outputs to properly burn-in. :flame:

Best regards,

Vinnie

low.pfile

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2008, 12:47 am »

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

The amp definitely needs a load connected to the speaker outputs to properly burn-in. :flame:

Best regards,

Vinnie

Got it!  need to pull out those old bookshelves...

Grazie, ed

Afterimage

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2008, 04:09 pm »

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Best regards,

Vinnie
I just put the Sig 70.2s into the system.  The manual says I need to burn in at loud volumes, is that true?  I'm just trying to clarify because I know you have to play at fairly loud volumes to break in speakers, but how important is it to do it with the Sigs? 

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2008, 02:18 am »
Hi Afterimage,

I just put the Sig 70.2s into the system.  The manual says I need to burn in at loud volumes, is that true?  I'm just trying to clarify because I know you have to play at fairly loud volumes to break in speakers, but how important is it to do it with the Sigs?

Playing the amplifiers at louder levels will allow more current to flow through the input and output stages, and this speeds up the burn-in.  This is more desirable for burn-in than playing at low-levels.  However, you never want to play so loud that you reach clipping (distortion), as this is not good for the amplifiers or the speakers.

Most importantly, enjoy listening during the burn-in process and have fun!  :thumb:

Best regards,

Vinnie

kbuzz3

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2008, 02:35 pm »
On a related question and im sure one thats been answer a few dozen times re break in of a sig 30.2.  When used as a power amp>pre amp can i do burn in without the pre amp on? thanks

kbuzz3

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2008, 04:05 pm »
On a related question and im sure one thats been answer a few dozen times re break in of a sig 30.2.  When used as a power amp>pre amp can i do burn in without the pre amp on? Just running my source and the amp. thanks

Anyone have any opinion on this one? 

onemug

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2008, 05:24 pm »
I'm pretty sure you have to have music playing "through" it to have it break in.

Years ago I bought a portable AM/FM/CD player for less than $50 that has way more than payed for itself over and over in helping me break in preamps/amps/speakers.  I use a mini to rca stereo jack to connect the headphone out to a preamp or amp (the portable having it's own volume control), and let her go. I can't see using a regular cd player on repeat for 100+ hrs to accomplish this. The built in am/fm is a bonus, as now your not even wearing out the lens or moving parts of the laser assembly and there is usually a bass boost you can engage, just make sure you don't play it so loud you are clipping the amp or bottoming out the speakers.

Cheap ideas make the expensive stuff last longer :-)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:42 am »
On a related question and im sure one thats been answer a few dozen times re break in of a sig 30.2.  When used as a power amp>pre amp can i do burn in without the pre amp on? Just running my source and the amp. thanks

Anyone have any opinion on this one? 

Hi kbuzz3,

If you have the 30.2 with built-in volume control, you can connect your source directly to it.  For proper break-in, you need to be playing music and the speakers (or another form of load such as power resistors) should be connected to the outputs to allow current to flow throught the 30.2.  Ideally, you won't play at low levels, but also do not make it so loud that you drive the amp into clipping  :o

Best regards,

Vinnie