mortar and pestle

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
mortar and pestle
« on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:08 pm »
Hey Chef dudes!

Another cooking question for you. I've been given a mortar and pestle but I'm not sure it's usable. It's made of what looks like a volcanic rock type stone. After a few digs at it, I can turn it upside down on a piece of white paper and get a fairly large amount of black grit from it. Is there some type of preparation or "break-in" I can do to it? Do I just sit one evening and grind away for hours on end to "prep it"?
I'm sure eating volcanic rock would tend to wear on the teeth....just a bit:icon_surprised:

Bob

S Clark

Re: mortar and pestle
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:31 pm »
Sounds like you have a decorative one.  The Southwest Indian tribes used variations on these to grind corn- and wore their teeth down by age 35.  If you want one to grind spices, try scientific supply houses.
https://www.fishersci.com/wps/portal/PRODUCTDETAIL?productId=774771&catalogId=29104&pos=4&catCode=RE_SC&fromCat=yes&keepSessionSearchOutPut=true&brCategoryId=null&hlpi=y&fromSearch=Y

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2007, 09:19 pm »
OK, Thank you Mr. Clark.
The "decorative" thing popped in my mind due to the coarseness/crumbly factor of the item, but wasn't sure if there was some kind of prep I need to do.
If I purchase a new one (which is likely), I'd rather have one that's some type of stone as opposed to glass.
Is there a key word I should use in my search that will result in a useable item and not a decoration?

Bob

goskers

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2007, 10:14 pm »
I am not a chef by any means but you definitely want the coarse nature for the mortar.  The M&P is not just used to breakdown hard items but is most useful in producing a mash of certain ingredients.  Once you crack certain hard items you can add spices and herbs which will produce just enough liquid to form a paste.

I just don't think that a smooth glass mortar will give you the rough surface needed to properly grab items so they can be broken down.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007, 10:35 pm »
I agree that the glass can be slick.  Perhaps you might look at the ceramic versions again from a scientific supplier.  I use a BIG glass one that I roughed up a bit by grinding some sand in it- but I have no use for a soft rock version. 
I have no problem with either the ceramic or the glass, but I have used them teaching chemistry for the last 25 years so I am kinda used to them. :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2007, 10:35 am »
Alright, ceramic sounds like it might be attractive and useful. I'll check that, thank you.
My father was a chemistry and physics instructor for 36 years. I have one of his old cast iron mortar and pestles, but would NEVER dream of using it with food products.  :nono: No tellin' what all has been ground up and soaked into the porous cast. :? :icon_lol:

Thanks again Mr. Clark

Bob

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2007, 10:44 am »
Hey Chef dudes!

Another cooking question for you. I've been given a mortar and pestle but I'm not sure it's usable. It's made of what looks like a volcanic rock type stone. After a few digs at it, I can turn it upside down on a piece of white paper and get a fairly large amount of black grit from it. Is there some type of preparation or "break-in" I can do to it? Do I just sit one evening and grind away for hours on end to "prep it"?
I'm sure eating volcanic rock would tend to wear on the teeth....just a bit:icon_surprised:

Bob

Getting Started Using Lava Molcajete

Your new molcajete must be prepared before first use. They are hand carved by artisans and the surfaces are rough with loose stone and grit that must be removed before it is used to process food. The seasoning/preparation process requires some time and effort but only needs to be done once.

How To Season Molcajete Mortar and Pestle

Unwrap the molcajete and shake or brush off any loose stone or grit. It is recommended that you soak the molcajete and tejolote in warm water for several hours (3-4) before beginning the seasoning process. Soaking will remove dirt, contaminants, and loose sand. Remove the molcajete from the water and allow the piece to dry (a blow dryer makes drying faster!).

The best material to use for the seasoning process is hard dry white rice. The idea is to use a hard gritty material as an abrasive to grind away and remove loose stone and grit and produce a smooth hard surface. Place a small amount of rice in the bowl and begin working it with the tejolote into and over all interior surfaces. As the rice is worked into a fine powder it will be mixed with dark stone grit and take on a dirty gray color. Discard and replace with fresh rice. Continue this process until the resulting pulverized rice is clean and white with no discoloration. The interior of the molcajete should now be smoother and there should be no loose grit. This process may require 30 minutes to an hour and several batches of rice. Rinse or soak the molcajete again to remove any remaining residue. The Molcajete will still be porous but it should no longer produce grit or sand when grinding. Dry thoroughly.

Care of Molcajete

Once your molcajete is seasoned (see above) it should require little cleaning or care. As spices and food ingredients are worked into the bowl the flavors of the spices will penetrate into the stone pores. The molcajete should simply be brushed or wiped out if used for grinding dry spices. After processing moist ingredients for salsa, sauces, or meat rubs you should rinse out the molcajete with warm water. Do not use soap or detergents and avoid using abrasive pads to clean it as you will remove the beneficial seasoning from the pores of the stone. A stiff corn brush is the traditional tool to clean the molcajete with.

The microscopic amounts of basaltic grit that normally wear off the molcajete into the food are said by some to actually be a health benefit.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2007, 12:28 pm »
Wow, interesting. Thanks for the very detailed instructions ecramer.
But now I'm "on the fence" regarding whether or not I should use mine. Two opinions that are 180 degrees out from each other tends to confuse weak minds like mine.  :lol:

more thoughts.....?

Thanks again fellas  :thumb:
Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2007, 01:02 pm »
Bob,

I just use a simple marble unit for garlic, peppers, capers, etc.  Check this site out site for other types.
http://www.fantes.com/mortar_pestle.htm

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:01 pm »
Some good lookin' items there Mr. Woodsyi. Thanks man. Of course the $60 jobbie is the one that appeals to me the most, not the $15 one's.  :roll: :lol:

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:18 pm »
Any body take art appreciation class? Symbolism?

Now think about that next time you are pounding the pestle into the mortar.  aa aa aa
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2007, 02:43 pm by woodsyi »

JohninCR

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:36 pm »
Bob,

Didn't you take a look at the notes at Woodsyi's link?  It seems like you already have a good one and just need to rice season it.  With a proven track record of 5000 years I don't see a problem.  After ecramer's post and the Woodsyi's link, I want one too....Finally something I should find easily down here. :bounce:

John

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2007, 03:54 pm »
I use a marble M&P. The bowl of the mortar and the blunt end of the pestle are sand blasted, so they are rough enough to create a paste.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:32 pm »

Any body take art appreciation class? Symbolism?

Now think about that next time you are pounding the pestle into the mortar.  aa aa aa
:scratch: You lost me on that one wood's. (I didn't take that class).  :lol:

Bob,

Didn't you take a look at the notes at Woodsyi's link?  It seems like you already have a good one and just need to rice season it.  With a proven track record of 5000 years I don't see a problem.  After ecramer's post and the Woodsyi's link, I want one too....Finally something I should find easily down here. :bounce:
Yes, I read the paragraph at the bottom of the page. Looked like an abbrieveated version of what ecramer said. Question is; is that 5000 years of history involve "funky lookin' tooth people"?  :lol: :rotflmao:

Im thinking about trying that rice trick, but only as long as I can get no black grit when tapped over white notebook paper.

Bob