What Tubes is everyone using with their GK-1

gerado

What Tubes is everyone using with their GK-1
« on: 21 Oct 2007, 03:25 pm »
I was interested if anyone tried other than the stock tubes in their GK_1 and what they thought of them.

I have tried a few, mostly cheapies like electro harmonix 6922, sovterk 6922, phillips E88CC , just because I had them, and found them wanting. Different tubes do have an effect on the GK's sound , but do good tubes improve it?

If anyone has had positive experiences with better tubes, other equivalents let us know, I like to try.

LM

• Lyn
Re: What Tubes is everyone using with their GK-1
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007, 10:31 pm »
Hi mate,

I'm just using the standard tubes and very happy with them but I have read through the following thread a few times and wondered - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=7379.0 in case you haven't seen it.

To be perfectly honest, since adding the platinum caps, I've rather stopped wondering as I am so pleased with the sonics.  Hope you don't get me started again. :D

raptor

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:43 am »
I changed over to a pair of Siemens EC188cc gold pin last time I was around at Hugh's place. We both heard an improvement to the depth of the soundstage; as the valves only cost me AUD 60.00 it was a worthwhile change. At the USD250-350 I had been quoted elsewhere it would not be worth it IMHO, the platinum caps give more bang for the buck than the valve change.

gerado

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2007, 06:45 am »
Hi Lyn

I was looking for that thread, thanks

I assume the 6ES8 is the same as the CV5358 which is the ones I have. I just find them a little flat (actually a lot flat), and as Neil found other tubes may help bring the sound more forward.
Im getting increasingly picky these days.

In fact sometimes I just listen through the sub out ( i did do the cap upgrades on the GK) ,  it seems more dynamic and I think better to my liking when using a tube power amp. Too many tubes in the path? With the LF I have not done a long enough comparison but my impression is that it certainly sounds  faster bypassing the tubes though a little more edgy.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2007, 10:34 pm »
Theo,

Very interesting points that I have been through myself.  Early on, I was not so smitten with the GK1 in my system (for balance, not the pre itself) as my room and speakers with the valve out in the GK1 made my highs a touch laid back.  Preferred the sub out to correct this but then missed the richness from the valves.  If I’d had slightly forward rather than neutral speakers, might not have been a problem.  Even tried an excellent Arcam pre in my system for a while but it really had nothing over the GK1 and lacked the valve option.  Very frustrating balancing act and Hugh was very patient with my many musings. :|

With the platinum caps installed in the GK1, my system balance actually got the most noticeable benefit from the high-end improvement as base and mids were not a problem though they improved as well.  Still not quite perfect (never will be of course) but now the sub out is not needed.  I hope you realise that it’s a terrible thing you are doing making me even think about valve rolling. :duh:

So overall, I’m very happy now using the valves in the pre as everything else is SS and the GK1 really provides the magic complement to the LF100/2.  I’ve heard systems with multiple valves in the train (CD player, pre and amp) and it was just too much for me and the overall balance of those systems (to me) just seemed wrong.  PM me if you want to come over and have a listen one day. :)

gerado

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2007, 02:02 am »
Lyn
thank you for your kind invitation. I would love to do that.

Tube rolling is a quick way of tuning ones system to suit different music and mood I would of thought.
Or to salvage those times which for some reason my system just sounds terrible from one day to the next but  I have not changed a thing-- why that happens I have no idea but others I have spoken to also experience this "sun flare"  "full moon" phenomenon.  :scratch:

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2007, 04:01 am »
I thought it was that the ‘upgradeitis’ bug actually mimics malaria in that the parasite once in the bloodstream has a repeating lifecycle so the symptoms return regularly in waves.  Only I’m certain the vector is not a mosquito, rather it is something that enters the body through the ears and immediately infects the mind when listening to (or hearing about) any form of hifi equipment that just might perform better than yours.  I don’t believe there is a cure, just occasional periods of dormancy that lull one into a false sense of security.  Tube rolling, cable changing etc merely provide a short-term placebo effect that works for some till the next contact with a similarly affected person restarts the cycle.  I can almost hear the bug saying right now – got to try some different tubes, if you don’t, you just might be missing out on something….

gerado

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2007, 04:31 am »
very very funny

if it were not so true

kyrill

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2007, 01:09 pm »
well

it is not so much a disease as in the metaphor, it is a heavenly path to heaven :thumb:
heaven is not extreme contentedness in stability or even peace of mind , it can be but not for long.
Heaven is unhindered development to the nth power of better experiences , so stability is a transient phase in heaven..

that is why  i am thinking that when ppl get old and may need a hearing aid apparatus,  one with a nice miniature SET tube  with filtered batterypower may help them.. :green:

RonR

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2007, 02:28 pm »
I have to agree with Neil. My best all-round tubes are the Siemens E188CC gold pins, bought fairly cheaply from Canada.

However, I have a pair of Amperex early '60s ECC189s with "D" getters, which have the best top end I've heard on the GK-1. The trouble with them is the Bass, which tends towards "Wooly" when compared with the Siemens.

If only i could find a tube with the best of both.........

Cheers,

Ron.

kyrill

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2007, 06:02 pm »
i learned that the Siemens  7308/E188CC gold pins should be the early ones. There also those of more modern years (1970+) which should be avoided. They look the same though and i don't know how to decipher the inner #'s for instance ( for Siemens E188CC )  G3 8B ( visible) inside the tube
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2007, 06:21 pm by kyrill »

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2007, 09:38 pm »
Kyrill,

There is an article on interpreting those numbers that I've seen somewhere.  If I find it I'll post but someone else is sure to know off the top of their head.

that is why  i am thinking that when ppl get old and may need a hearing aid apparatus,  one with a nice miniature SET tube  with filtered batterypower may help them..

Another idea for Hugh to develop, the Aspen Gold Pin hearing aid or at least the power supply for.. :D

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2007, 10:10 pm »
Hmm, Lyn,

By this point I will have forgotten what a tube is for, let alone designing with them!!

The Soraya has impressed all who have heard it, I'm quite pleased!!  The detail, clean presentation and complete absence of intermodulation has been a revelation to some.

Trust all is well in Oz, leaving NYC in just over a day, Museum of Technology tomorrow, should be FASCINATING!!

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:12 am »
As it should Hugh; it has certainly impressed the socks off me as the heart of my system.  Which leaves the valves to flavour the magic of the GK1 as per the OP question.  Really glad that everything is going so well and you are enjoying yourself so much.  Someone might need to nail your feet to the floor of your workshop next week to bring you back to earth – in a nice way. :lol:

gerado

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:22 am »
I just wish you all stop talking about the Soraya, I "only" have the LF100, and that parasite worm in my head turning.
I dont care how good it is ,Im not going to think about it ,Im not going to do it!

maybe.... :nono:

AKSA

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2007, 03:51 am »
Aw, shucks Theo,

It ain't all bad - we will find a way!!

Just bought a very cool camera, very nice, touch controls, a Sony T200, I love it.

While walking back from a wonderful French meal in Brooklyn I saw a billboard which caught my immediate fancy - DIVORCES - $399!!

All of you who think divorce is a grievous moral dilemma - think again!!

I photographed it.  My jaw was on the floor................. :duh:

Cheers,

Hugh

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:13 am »
Actually Theo, you raise a valid point.  I’m sure the machine that Hugh took away had all the latest tweaks he could possibly think of and no doubt it’s of a better specification than either yours or mine.  All manufactures claim the right to constantly improve specs.  Quite probably the show machine was/is something to aspire to.

Which makes me think that I should probably continue to refer to mine as an LF100 Mk2 as I did in an earlier post as that is the name on the faceplate of the production item (not a kit) I bought off Hugh.  However, that could be a little confusing on the forum as my understanding is that the earlier name became stillborn after a few were built when he decided to call it the Soraya CB105.  I admit I do tend to think of mine as an early production Soraya to distinguish it from the Lifeforce kits though I certainly don’t wish to pay for a replacement faceplate to prove it.

Not that this has anything to do with GK1 tube rolling of course.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:19 am »
And just how are you going to explain the photograph to Sri.... (carefully I hope) :oops:

raptor

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:29 am »
Which makes me think that I should probably continue to refer to mine as an LF100 Mk2 as I did in an earlier post as that is the name on the faceplate of the production item (not a kit) I bought off Hugh.  However, that could be a little confusing on the forum as my understanding is that the earlier name became stillborn after a few were built when he decided to call it the Soraya CB105.  I admit I do tend to think of mine as an early production Soraya to distinguish it from the Lifeforce kits though I certainly don’t wish to pay for a replacement faceplate to prove it.
That is most interesting Lyn. I bought an LF100 Mk II from Hugh in May and I was under the impression that the Soraya, while incorporating many parts from the LF, has some significant differences. (not that I can tell you what they are)

Hugh has quoted me a price to upgrade my LF to Soraya spec, when I have a chance to compare the two I will decide if my upgradeitis is in remission at the moment.:roll:

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2007, 04:39 am »
Neil,

I have no doubt you are right - my terminology was production changes - perhaps significant differences is more correct and yes, it's not just the nameplate.  Perhaps if I get mine fully upgraded as well there will be few if any LF2's in existance and Soraya will become the correct terminology.  In any case it is Hugh's call but I do think he wanted the name change to reflect the differences between production items and kits.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2007, 04:51 am by LM »