Bryston Owners; Did you compare against Musical Fidelity?

nick.h

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 6B SST for my B&W 803D and HTM2D speakers. Just wondering if anyone before purchasing Bryston compared against the Musical Fidelity A5 series? I have been offered a great deal on a A5 CD, A5 Pre and A5 power amp.

The other option is to run a 6B SST with Arcam AVP700 and DV137.

I believe the Bryston provides better value and from what I have read sound quality.

Any comments?

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
Re: Bryston Owners; Did you compare against Musical Fidelity?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007, 11:46 am »
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a 6B SST for my B&W 803D and HTM2D speakers. Just wondering if anyone before purchasing Bryston compared against the Musical Fidelity A5 series? I have been offered a great deal on a A5 CD, A5 Pre and A5 power amp.

The other option is to run a 6B SST with Arcam AVP700 and DV137.

I believe the Bryston provides better value and from what I have read sound quality.

Any comments?

If Bryston still gives the 20-year warranty (is it 20?), you should have no reservation anymore.  I had a Bryston years ago, just great-sounding gear.

Philistine

Re: Bryston Owners; Did you compare against Musical Fidelity?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:46 pm »
Nick, I had a 4BSST driving a pair of 803's and switched to a Musical Fidelity KW500 - didn't try the A5.  The Bryston was certainly well made but found it too bright on the top end with my B&W's, the KW500 has tighter bass, cleaner highs and separates out individual instruments and voices much better.  I don't know how the A5 would stack up, so if you can I would try and listen to the two amps before making a decision.

Another option is to look at some of the non-mainstream amps on this site, such as AVA and others - better value options?