A Choice of 3 Bryston Amps

mkaiser

A Choice of 3 Bryston Amps
« on: 20 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »

Hi James/all,

I currently own the BCD-1, BP26 Pre, and am now looking at the amp(s) for a 2 channel system. I am thinking of 3 possible amp setups;

a.) Bi-amp (2) 4B SST's
b.) go with a pair of 7B SST monos
c.) a 14B SST

The room this system will go in is 20L x 27W x 10H.

My question is if anyone has bi-amped their 4B SST and compared the difference ( if any) in sound performance with the other 2 amp options.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as my local Dealer has no plans on bringing in Brystons more powerful amps for me to audition but, i will be going in a week to hear the bi-amp setup only.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: A Choice of 3 Bryston Amps
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2007, 08:50 pm »
Hi Mark,

Nice size room - what speakers are you using?

james

mkaiser

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2007, 09:38 pm »

Hi James,

I have been looking at Paradigm Signature S8 v2, B & W 802D and Elac for now. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2007, 11:11 pm »

Hi James,

I have been looking at Paradigm Signature S8 v2, B & W 802D and Elac for now. 

As a Salk fanboy, why not the HT3's and save yourself  bunch of dough?  Sounds like a great system you are building.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:13 am »
Due to the fact my local dealer did not carry much either, I bought both my amps used a few years back.  I started out with the 6BSST for the front 3 channels which is basically a 3 channel version of the 4BSST and then got a 14BSST.  There is no question the 14BSST was better in my system in terms of everything.  I have 2 Rel subs crossed over at 22HZ with Thiel 7.2s and I had a friend come over when I got the 14BSST (he has a 9BSST) and he noticed the difference right of way in terms of ease of presentation and bass response.  I have a big room too.  It is about 16x20 with a 19 ft. ceiling and opens into other spaces.

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2007, 02:46 am »
Being a Salk fanboy...I have to echo the fact that Salk HT3 is one notch above Paradigm S8. I have auditioned the Paradigm S8 extensively and almost handed out my check to a local Paradigm dealer. Luckily, I decided to write to Jim Salk first and the rest is history.. :green: :green:

However, however... guess what.. when I auditioned the Paradigm S8, the local dealer allowed me to switch between different type of amps - BAT, Audio Research, and Bryston. And Bryston came out on top! (Synergy with the Paradigm S8 - is what I would call it).

I did have the Bryston 4B-SST driving the Salk HT3 for half a year, I think the combination did not sound as nice (or pleasing) as the Bryston+Paradigm combo. Because the Salk HT3 is more transparent than Paradigm S8, and Bryston is one of the most transparent amp, hence the Bryston + HT3 combo appears a little sterile and cold (and I was running digital preamp too). But matching the Bryston with Paradigm, you'll get the right balance and a great combo!!

Hence in my humble opinion, if I were to pick Paradigm S8, I will pair it with Bryston amp, Bryston preamp...etc

If I were to pick Salk HT3, and I have a Bryston amp, I will try to get a tube preamp "warm-up" the sound a little.

Of course, YMMV..

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:12 am »
I would go for the bi amp 4BSST...bi amping yields superior results and if I'm correct is recommended by Bryston.

mkaiser

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:38 pm »

Thanks 95bcwh and Big Red Machine for your suggestion on the Salk HT3's. I will check with one of the dealers and see if they have them in or if they could get a pair in and do demo though, i will not be able to set them up with Bryston gear as the one dealer does not carry Bryston. I'll check it out anyway if they can get their hands on the Salk's.

95bcwh, i also agree with your thoughts on the Bryston-Paradigm Sigs. having good synergy together, i was thoroughly impressed with their overall presentation.

Mark,

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2007, 08:56 pm »
Mark,
  Salk HT3 is sold direct by Jim Salk (www.salksound.com). No dealers is carrying them. If you want a listen, you may try to locate a HT3 owner near where you live.

Best regards
  barry

Thanks 95bcwh and Big Red Machine for your suggestion on the Salk HT3's. I will check with one of the dealers and see if they have them in or if they could get a pair in and do demo though, i will not be able to set them up with Bryston gear as the one dealer does not carry Bryston. I'll check it out anyway if they can get their hands on the Salk's.

95bcwh, i also agree with your thoughts on the Bryston-Paradigm Sigs. having good synergy together, i was thoroughly impressed with their overall presentation.

Mark,

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57 pm »
hi Mark,i have a 14bsst and PMC IB1's,before i had paradigm studio 60's and 40's linked to get a 4ohm load with Odyssey amps(not in the same league as Bryston)..
the 14 kicks ass,simple as that,i have a 10,000 watt pa and when i say it is good,well it is, i have heard alot in the last few years from retailers and to hear them say "you won't like them or it" is funny,only you know what you like!!
dollar and sound is difficult,but night and day is not,in other words, if $3000 sounds so much better(like nite and day),it may be worth it,but if it is a little better for $3000,NOT WORTH IT !!
the 14bsst is worth the money,new or used..
john

Lavazza

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2007, 10:19 pm »

I would go for the bi amp 4BSST...bi amping yields superior results and if I'm correct is recommended by Bryston.
[/quote]

James, could you offer Bryston's perspective on bi-amping?

Thanks

john1970

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2007, 11:07 pm »
Mark,

Given your choices I would go with 2 7B SST mono amps.  They can be wired in series or in parallel (to give a huge amount of current).  Of course this assumes that you have the space for two amps.  If space is a consideration a single 14B SST is also a good match.  I own a 4B SST driving a pair of VMPS RM40s and enjoy the combination very much.  Frankly I don't see myself upgrading the amp for the next 20 years or so..  When I purchased the 4B SST I considered the 14 B SST, but at the end of the day I could not justify $3000 extra for an extra ~3dB of output (600 W/ch vs. 300 W/ch).  Also I did not have room for two amps.

Bi amping with two 4B SST is also an option though I am not very familiar with it.

Lastly, if you need the additional gain you might consider adding a Burson buffer between your CD player and preamp.  It will add 6dB of gain and provide impedance matching for ~$375. 

Just my thoughts.

Best,

John