Emerald Physics Corporation Introduction

Clayton Shaw

Emerald Physics Corporation Introduction
« on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:39 am »
Greetings fellow AudioCircle members from Emerald Physics.

My name is Clayton Shaw- founder and product developer of the Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeaker system. The CS2 speaker is a controlled directivity design using a 12" waveguide and 1" exit compression driver above 1kHz, and two 15" diameter dynamic drivers below 1kHz in an open baffle format. A Behringer DCX2496 is included in the system and has our CS2 configuration files installed.

The CS2 is a bi-amplified design requiring a total of four channels. Its mid-band sensitivity rating is 100dB, along with its simple impedance curve allow many types of amplifier designs can be used with great results. Since the low frequency range is equalized with the DSP, a good 50W solid state or KT88 based tube should be employed. Solid state amps in the range of 200W or greater are preferable if possible.

The controlled directivity design reduces the amount of room interaction across the spectrum and helps to optimize the spatial representation and linearity at the listener position, so it tends to sound very similar in different rooms. The CS2's small size and simple lines help to keep the wife happy. The price of the CS2 is $2995/system with DSP.

The history Emerald Physics is primarily one of loudspeaker research as well as product designs for contract clients since 1978. Open-baffle research began in 1988 and continued on until DSP processors became practical, where then, it became the primary focus. I gained insight into large company product engineering while at Seagate Technology (hard drives) in the 1980s. My experience in professional audio field had a major impact on my thinking, which is evident in the CS2. Beginning in 1999, I was the Director of Engineering and R&D at a large pro speaker manufacturer where I synthesized the ideas you see in Emerald Physics branded products.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the CS2 or our company.

Clayton

BradJudy

Re: Emerald Physics Corporation Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:45 am »
Welcome Clayton - I enjoyed your speakers at the RMAF (I was with the group that returned for one last listen at the very end of the show). 

As part of your introduction to AudioCircle, let me point out that posts like this belong in the Industry Talk section rather than Audio Central.  That's where companies who don't have a dedicated circle can start a thread about their products/services.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:31 am »
Welcome to AC Clayton  :D 

I was another person that you almost had to kick out of the EP RMAF room while I was there listening with George, Frank, and Sean.  The CS2's sounded terrific with everything we threw at them.  Now, everyone is rather intrigued with how the design works and actually, how it works so well.  It sounds like it was a very good show for your debut production product.  Congrats and best of luck!

Tom

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:37 am »
Welcome, Clayton! 

I do have a couple of questions about the CS2. 

From what I understand, the crossover between the waveguide and dual 15" woofers is around 1 kHz.  Now I know from having read papers on vertical imaging acuity that the ear is still pretty poor at resolving the height of a sound source at that frequency, so the image will be fixed on the waveguide and not spread out vertically.  But what about the frequency response of the woofers - do you have to smooth them with the DSP to get a smooth transition?  Or is the crossover slope steep enough that any woofer peaks above 1 kHz are of no audible consequence?

Next question:  I heard or read somewhere that the DSP processor can be programmed to account for the speaker being positioned different distances from the wall.  Is this true?  Do you pre-program the unit for this before shipment, or is this something the end user can do?

Okay one more:  It looks to me like the power response of your two large-diameter dipole woofers and your wide-pattern monopole constant-directivity waveguide will come very close to matching up in the crossover region.  Have you measured or calculated this to be the case, and was it one of your design goals?

People been talking 'bout you, Clayton:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46315.0

Cheers,

Duke

p.s. - For the benefit of anybody reading this who doesn't know me, I'm a speaker manufacturer too.  Before that I was a dealer for many years, and fortunately I didn't burn my dealer hat when I became a manufacturer.  You see, that gives me the option of playing the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" card - which is exactly what I've done.  I'm one of Clayton's dealers, though I don't have a pair of his speakers yet because Clayton is busy filling orders for his customers first.

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2007, 06:00 am »
Welcome!  That's a mother of a first post - I think you'll find fertile grounds here.  I didn't hear your RMAF debut but many did, and many smart and learned souls were moved.  It seems you have a lot to contribute.

Duke - please spend more time here.  You'll love it.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:30 pm »
I really, really liked the open baffle set up you had in the 2006 show.  Actually gave that some serious consideration.

Welcome!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:39 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle Clayton!   :thumb:

As I stated in another thread, I was very impressed with your speakers and thought your room was one of the top five at RMAF, regardless of price!!   :beer:

In fact, I was so impressed, I not only bought a pair, I have decided to become a dealer for Emerald Physics products.

I will post later today with some details around becoming a dealer, but suffice it to say, that I believe this and some other products Clayton is working on will make a big impact on the audio industry.

Judging by the large amount of orders placed during and since RMAF, I think the public agrees.

George

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:28 pm »
wow - very interesting stuff and affordable pricing, too, for such technology  :thumb:

They musta' really be something for zybar to jump on board with both feet....the man has heard lotsa' hi-fallutin speakers in his day  :wink:

Clayton, if you could read this important message to Industry Participants......

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=41871.0

.....you'll notice that manufacturers or others involved in the industry are required to cite their commercial ties to their company by a reasonably simple sign-off as described in the above (or, see other Industry Participants sign-offs at AudioCircle for a larger set of ideas)

Good stuff - it seems certain that you'll have rabid fans on AC soon giving us updates on their beloved Emerald Physics speakers :)  That's a very, very interesting technology you offer, for sure.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2007, 01:56 pm by TheChairGuy »

Woodsea

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:43 pm »
Welcome aboard.  I have been reading alot about these new miracle speakers.  My only problem(s) at this point would be the WAF factor, and you don't have any dealers near me.   I am intrigued by the thought of such good sound coming from a room without treatments.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:59 pm »
BTW, one of the more sophisticated websites I have visited.  More photos of actual speakers would be nice, but otherwise very sexy. :dance:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2007, 02:59 pm »
Welcome Clayton. I think you will find being an Audio Circle member will be interesting :wink: There are a lot of great people here.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I did not attend RMAF but picked up the line based on the words of so many trusted ears that contacted me in the following days about the CS2 and amplification.

Like George, I too am becoming involved with the Emeral Physics line but in a different manner. I am currently working on some custom amplification options for this speaker.

Further details to follow very soon.

Again, welcome to the AC Clayton. You are in for a pleasant experience.

nature boy

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:05 pm »
Welcome Clayton.  I have a question regarding the Emerald Physics CS2 regarding amplification.

The CS2 is a bi-amplified design requiring a total of four channels. Its mid-band sensitivity rating is 100dB, along with its simple impedance curve allow many types of amplifier designs can be used with great results. Since the low frequency range is equalized with the DSP, a good 50W solid state or KT88 based tube should be employed. Solid state amps in the range of 200W or greater are preferable if possible.

Question 1: Do the speakers require bi-amplification or is bi-wiring a stereo amplifier an acceptable option?  I have an ART-SLA 1 amplifier (100 watts/channel) that has been highly modified by Don Nance for which I would be hard pressed to find a matching second for bi-amping.  This amplifier has Shallco attenuators, so I could adjust volume from the amp directly in a bi-amp configuration to match volume levels.

Question 2:  If I need to purchase an additional amplifier, possibly a 50-60W tube amp, how would you configure the two for best sound from the CS2 speakers?

Thanks.

NB

BradJudy

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:15 pm »

Next question:  I heard or read somewhere that the DSP processor can be programmed to account for the speaker being positioned different distances from the wall.  Is this true?  Do you pre-program the unit for this before shipment, or is this something the end user can do?

While I was in the room, Clayton explained that the DSP had multiple programs loaded for different distances to the rear wall and the end user could select the program based on their placement. 

BradJudy

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:18 pm »

Question 1: Do the speakers require bi-amplification or is bi-wiring a stereo amplifier an acceptable option?  I have an ART-SLA 1 amplifier (100 watts/channel) that has been highly modified by Don Nance for which I would be hard pressed to find a matching second for bi-amping.  This amplifier has Shallco attenuators, so I could adjust volume from the amp directly in a bi-amp configuration to match volume levels.

This speaker has an active DSP crossover that outputs two separate signals for each channel, so you'd need two amps for each channel. 

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:18 pm »
Welcome Clayton,

I am looking forward to your participation in AudioCircle. I cannot remember when any product has caused such a buzz as yours. I think it will be good for all the industry members of this place.

nature boy,

The Emerald Physics speakers REQUIRES four separate channels of amplification. It uses the Behringer DCX2496 for ACTIVE crossover and DSP. There is no passive option to use a stereo amp. Clayton stated in his post that 200 wpc would be preferable for the low end portion. The active EQ has about 10 db of boost at certain low frequencies. This requires quite a bit of power from an amp. The Behringer DCX2496 does have level controls on the outputs so different amplifiers can be matched for correct levels.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:21 pm »
Welcome Clayton.  I have a question regarding the Emerald Physics CS2 regarding amplification.

Question 2:  If I need to purchase an additional amplifier, possibly a 50-60W tube amp, how would you configure the two for best sound from the CS2 speakers?

Thanks.

NB

NB,

You do indeed need two stereo amps or mono blocks to run the CS2 speakers.

You can do some level of amp matching in the Behringer DCX2496, but you could also use your volume controls on your modified SLA-1 to help dial things in.

When I get my speakers I will be trying it in many different configurations and with different gear.

I will go into details on the various configurations when I start up a different thread.

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:24 pm »
This speaker has an active DSP crossover that outputs two separate signals for each channel, so you'd need two amps for each channel.

The wording could be a bit confusing. You would need two stereo amplifiers to driver one pair of speakers. They have to be bi-amped.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2007, 05:47 pm by Response Audio »

nature boy

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2007, 05:41 pm »
Thanks George and Bill, my knowledge of DSP and configuration of these speakers is a little lacking.  I look forward to hearing which amplifier combinations work well with the CS2's.  George, good luck with your new business venture, SOUNDS like a good one!

NB

wikin

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2007, 07:27 pm »
Hi,
Does the package come with a stock DCX or a modified one and I presume the overall setup would have to use the analog input of the DCX from a pre amp?

cheers.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2007, 07:51 pm »
Thanks George and Bill, my knowledge of DSP and configuration of these speakers is a little lacking.  I look forward to hearing which amplifier combinations work well with the CS2's.  George, good luck with your new business venture, SOUNDS like a good one!

NB

NB,

The setup is fairly easy and some of the settings come pre-programmed.

A good dealer will be able to assist you with the fine tuning and tweaking as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

George