Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat

lcrim

Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
« on: 18 Oct 2007, 06:06 pm »
I have been using this mat on my KAB modded Technics 1200 MKII for a little less than a week.  I use it with the isoplatmat. This vinyl setup has a Benz Micro Glider L2 and the Eastern Electric Minimax phono section.  My TT includes the KAB tonearm rewire, the damping tray, the separate/upgraded PS, strobe disabler and the record clamp.
I had previously been using the heavy rubber stock mat on top of the isoplatmat and turned upside down.  Kevin (Barrett) was kind enough to exchange the clamp he made for me with a longer shaft for a standard clamp.
The Herbie's mat made an unexpectedly large change in the quality of music playback.  It made itself apparent first by the lengthened decay of notes and the softening of the leading edge of notes.  The overall effect of this mat was, in my view, to make analog playback more about the flow of music rather than the utter accuracy of the sounds.  While the almost metallic sharpness of the leading edge was missing, I confess that I do enjoy listening much more with this mat in place.  Switching back to the rubber mat and readjusting the VTA to allow for the increased height of the record only confirms my judgement.  In combination with the isoplatmat and my recent upgrade in cleaning regimen (BTW-I cut down to a single rinse cycle) the quality of playback has taken another jump.  Because my taste  in playback includes SET amps and high efficiency speakers, any tweak that removes sharpness and aids in the desire for texture and tone is a very positive addition IMO.

TheChairGuy

Re: Herbie's Way Excellent II Turntable Mat
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2007, 07:42 pm »
Right on, Larry - I have found much the same thing :thumb:

The Herbie's, as a topmat, really does make a good interface with the record (it doesn't overdamp the tunes, it just improves the result over everything else I've tried before and after).

It's actually pretty surprising how important that interface is...but vinyl is made up of so many interlocking and interrelated pieces that we shouldn't be  :roll:

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:23 pm »
Thanks for reporting, lcrim! Have you dropped by Kevin's with the Herbie's mat yet? I'd be interested to know his thoughts on it.

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2007, 12:18 am »
Has anyone tried his acrylic platter mat model?

Den

Derockster

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007, 02:15 am »
Hi guys,I have found that this combination of mats on my modded technics sp25 turntable has not only added warmth and a much smoother sound to the leading edges of the music but, I've also experienced a much improved bass response.The soundstage has also become much quieter allowing me to hear more of the music.Icrim I too welcome anything that removes sharpness as I too am a lover of set amps and horn speakers.Regards derockster

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2007, 09:10 pm »
I'd also like to know if anybody has compared this to the Boston Audio Design Mat-1.  My table has an acrylic platter, so don't know if that rules this mat out.

-- Jim

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2007, 10:45 pm »
Jim,

If you would like to try the Boston Audio Mat I have one at home that I am currently not using. More then happy to ship it out to you.

Bill

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2007, 11:00 pm »
Bill,

Sounds great, but since Audio Note U.K. is taking approximately 8 weeks to deliver new turntables, my guess is that I probably won't be getting to use it until late December or early January.

Did you like it?  Any particular reason you're not using it?  Did you use it on acrylic platter?  Just curious.

I'd love to take you up on the offer, and will do so when you won't have to be without it for so long.

Thanks for offering,

Jim

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:21 am »
Jim,
 I just took it off one day and have been enjoying my vinyl with and without it.
 Not sure what the Well Tempered Reference uses as its platter composition.
 Let me know when you want me to send it. It definetly put musicians into focus in the soundstage, you will have to be the judge as to what it does in your setup.
 You sure are getting a lot of equipment lately though. Isn't it nice to have a wife who understands the compulsion :lol:

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2007, 03:23 am »
Herbies mat has made a small difference with my Technics SL-1200 also. My Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine has made a greater improvement, however.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2007, 04:03 am »
Herbies mat has made a small difference with my Technics SL-1200 also. My Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine has made a greater improvement, however.

That order is what I have found, too.  But the two together are greater than the actual sum of parts  :wink:

Toka

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2007, 03:22 am »
Does the Herbie's mat leave any marks on the vinyl if left on the deck for any length of time? I coulda swore I read that somewhere, but I'll be darned if I could find it again...but I very likely may be thinking of something else (which would probably explain why I can't find it).  :duh:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 3 Dec 2007, 03:40 am »
Hasn't happened to me, at least.....but it's not too sunny in this room (maybe heat has something to do with it?)

dmckean

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2007, 06:04 am »
It hasn't happened to me but I've only had mine for a few months.

Toka

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2007, 11:53 pm »
Cool, thanks fellas...was probably thinking of something else.  :oops:

meby

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2007, 08:10 pm »
Actually I think you maybe thinking of the original extreme phono mat that was reviewed by sterrophile and they said it left marks on the record.