What are the differences between bypass and pass thru?

pantone172

I have an SP1.7 and would like to know what the differences are between the bypass and pass thru? I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t seem to find any information on the subject.

Thanks tony

Phil A

Re: What are the differences between bypass and pass thru?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2007, 02:55 am »
I have an SP1.7 and would like to know what the differences are between the bypass and pass thru? I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t seem to find any information on the subject.

Thanks tony

Here is a prior thread:
  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=12312.0

bypass (2 channel or 6 channel) is to bypass all digital circuitry and use the DACs in the player vs. the pre/pro.  It is basically an analog direct mode.

pantone172

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2007, 04:47 pm »
Thanks for the info. However, after reading the tread, it's still unclear to me what the "Pass thru" does.

Mike Pickett

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:12 pm »
Hi there;

The 'pass thru' mode simply passes a stereo signal without any processing.  Like the 2Ch Bypass mode, it does nothing to the signal other than level control, but as it is handled by the DSP module, you can use a digital input.

Mike

Burke

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:58 pm »
The reason you would want "pass through" in a two channel preamp would be to conveniently use it in a home theater system connected to a multichannel receiver so you could use the presumably-higher-quality preamp and its associated power amp(s) for critical music listening of two channel sources, and use the same amplification for the front L/R channels for movie soundtracks using the receiver to handle the Dolby Digital or DTS and to take care of the rest of the channels' amplification. With the "pass through" feature in your preamp, if set up properly, you would not have to rearrange the interconnects or diddle with the preamp's volume control when playing a multichannel source through the receiver.

As stated above, the "bypass" mode give you a direct analog path through the preamp, avoiding the possibility of additional distortion introduced from digital processing. Very useful for playing vinyl LPs, for example.

The beauty of the Bryston SP2 is that the pre/pro has a built in two channel analog preamp section equivalent to the BP26, so you can hook up the SP2 and use it in bypass mode for pure analog, or have it process and distribute your multichannel sources using its full digital capabilities -- "pass through" to the front two channel amps is a moot point since both the high-quality two channel and the multi-channel capabilities are both "built in" to the same unit.

Burke

pantone172

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:07 pm »
Got it now. Thanks for the replies!

Tony