What are the criteria to qualify for THX certification?

warnerwh

I'm especially curious as to amplifier differences between THX and standard. Thanks

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2003, 10:57 pm »
:o money to buy the logo :o

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2003, 11:10 pm »
A link but not much of an answer--
http://www.thx.com/mod/techlib/amplifiers.html

Just thinking aloud, but my 2 channel Parasound amp is THX certified and has gain controls on the back (ostensibly to adjust sound levels when used in a multi-channel setup?). Don't know if that's part of EVERY THX amp or not????

bwkendall

Actually Tonto, the technical library says it all
« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2003, 05:26 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
A link but not much of an answer--
http://www.thx.com/mod/techlib/amplifiers.html

Just thinking aloud, but my 2 channel Parasound amp is THX certified and has gain controls on the back (ostensibly to adjust sound levels when used in a multi-channel setup?). Don't know if that's part of EVERY THX amp or not????

BTW, are you using the HCA-1000A too?  You are correct about the gain controls on the back of the unit, and no, volume controls for each channel are not required for every THX amp.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2003, 07:17 pm »
I didn't even KNOW there was a HCA-1000A TWO!!! Is that Mark Two?? or Mach Two??  Oh, you said "too." That's different. Nevermind.

Yes, I own a 1000A, but am using a BAT amp. The Parasound is merely sitting on a shelf.

BTW, I thought the THX tech library was a bit general in its terms--I'm not sure I could spot a THX amp just by its features and specs (without the THX stamped on its front or back).

bwkendall

Huh? Yours doesn't say Mach II on the front of it?
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2003, 08:55 pm »
Oh wait......that was one of my old razors or something.  Erase, erase.

If you wade deep enough into the tech library, there is some pretty good stuff.  I know I ridiculed the daylights (in writing) out of some THX certified analog cables I saw one day, only to learn there was such a thing.  That was an excellent demonstration of my audio prowess.

I thought the whole purpose behind THX certification was to stamp it on the front of components, since that bait has proven so successful in attracting unwitting buyers.   :lol:   Why just the other day I saw this $399 Kenwood that.........

BAT, eh?  That is quite a step up.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2003, 09:23 pm »
When I said BAT, you probably thought I meant Balanced Audio Technologies; unfortunately, I have gear by Bubba's Audio Toys. :D
It's also abbreviated "BAT," but it's pronounced polysyllabically---Bah--ye--Tah cause it's from La--Fa- yette.

bwkendall

Well I shoulda known
« Reply #7 on: 9 Sep 2003, 11:15 pm »
Good one Tonto.   :lol:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2003, 11:51 am »
Thought this link might be interesting

http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/THXp1.html

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2003, 02:45 pm »
Interesting that the characteristics of the room is part of it...