5.1, dvd, amp recommendations anyone?

maxwalrath

5.1, dvd, amp recommendations anyone?
« on: 15 Oct 2007, 06:46 am »
Hello AC'ers...I'm in Armenia, and my host family has a friend that wants to put together a home theater set-up.  I think the budget for the speakers is around $700, with maybe $500 for a DVD/amp.  The numbers can be adjusted I'm sure, but not by much.  The better the value, the better, of course.  The room size is about 18' x 20'.  My gut was to not recommend Jamo or Bose (the two ideas that the friend had), and maybe go with an av123 or Cambrige speaker set, and I guess an Oppo player, along with some affordable 5 channel digital amp.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers!

Dan Driscoll

Re: 5.1, dvd, amp recommendations anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:44 pm »
Given the budget, I'd say you're on the right track, but you might want to look more closely at what is available locally, rather than on-line. A lot of countries impose hefty import duties or taxes, although I don't know if that's the case with Armenia.

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007, 07:45 pm »
Thanks, I'll look into that.  In particular, does anyone have an idea in the amp department?  I'm a two-channel guy, and I know nothing about surround amps.

mjosef

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2007, 04:34 am »
I would say a midline Pioneer, Yamaha or Onkyo around 400$...DVD players are so cheap now, lots of decent units under 100$. I recently bought the Philips 5982 for 60$ and the picture (via HDMI)is very good.