Position of MPS-2

ashtarul

Position of MPS-2
« on: 14 Oct 2007, 05:16 pm »
On the on-line version of the BP26 Owner's Manual, there is a little box at the bottom of page 2 that states "...optimum performance will be achieved when the power supply is positioned above the preamplifier."

My question is HOW and WHY?

Thunder

Re: Position of MPS-2
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:03 pm »
Best performance is when they are on their own shelves/stands.

Wizard454

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:05 am »
I have my BP26 Preamp section stacked on top of the power supply and have not had any issue.

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:43 am »
Stacking won't cause the units to fail but you will not be maximizing audio performance with this configuration. Proper isolation of any component within a high resolution system will produce an audible improvement, at least to my ears. The best available is SRA IMHO.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2007, 05:09 pm »
On the on-line version of the BP26 Owner's Manual, there is a little box at the bottom of page 2 that states "...optimum performance will be achieved when the power supply is positioned above the preamplifier."

My question is HOW and WHY?

Because the Toroidal power supply transformer is very large in the MPS-2 the magnetic radiation is a factor when placing the BP26 signal preamplifier section.

If you place the MPS-2 directly on top of (as opposed to below) the BP26 it buys you about another 3dB of signal to noise ratio.

If you place the BP26 and the MPS-2 on different selves (about 3 inches apart) it buys you another 2dB of signal to noise advantage over the top position.

james

ashtarul

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2007, 06:22 pm »
Thanks, kind of confirmed my line of thought. These results were actually measured I assume?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:16 pm »
Thanks, kind of confirmed my line of thought. These results were actually measured I assume?

Yes measured.

james

ashtarul

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2007, 05:08 am »
Thunder, excuse my ignorance but what is SRA?

ashtarul

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:00 am »
I think I'll answer my own question. SRA - Silent Running Audio
Correct?

Thunder

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:32 am »
I think I'll answer my own question. SRA - Silent Running Audio
Correct?

Correct.