Any Success Using Balanced Power Conditioner w Stratos?

Doug_B

I am considering trying balanced power with my Stereo Stratos to see if it will improve the sound. I have no info on my power situation that suggests that my line may be noisy, but it's an area about which I have been thinking recently. Both my Stereo Stratos and HT3 are connected to a dedicated 20A circuit, with nothing else on it, except that I use a PS Audio High Current Ultimate Outlet. I currently use the stock power cords and have a standard wall receptacle. When I initially connected the UO to the Stratos (almost 2 years ago), I did notice a semi-subtle decrease in the noise floor.

Any feedback in this area would be useful, especially for a dedicated circuit scenario (which removes other equipment as sources of noise). I'm considering a BPT product at this time, as they seem to have good value compared to the more mainstream products. Of course, I'll need to try something out myself to really know if they'll be a noticeable improvement, but why not ask around.

BTW, I'll probably end up upgrading to a Dual Mono down the road.

Thanks.

Doug

scottpretti

BPT
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2003, 05:58 pm »
Doug,

I have my 3 monos plugged into a BPT 2.5 with Bybee purifiers.  I live two blocks from a college and subsequently "had" some issues with my power.  The before and after was quite remarkable.  I use to get an oscillating and hissing sound through my speakers, gone!  I have to put my ear within two to three inches of the tweeter to hear this hiss that I could hear from my listening position.  I also noticed a much wider sound stage after the Bybees where installed.  Music and movies seem to have more layers of sound then without the BPT unit.  Most notable for me was dead silent background.  I liked so much what the 2.5 has does for my system that I'm getting a 3.5 with double bybees.  My unit has two outlets with filtering on them which allows me to run my  projector, pre amp, DVD  and CDP.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2003, 08:06 am »
Snooze you lose Doug,,, BPT had a deal a week ago on a Quad Bybee BP3.5 to of the line conditioner for the price of a BP2.5 w/Bybee. That is one deal that I would have jumped on, knowing what I know about the benefits derived from BPT. Only problem is I`ve already invested in a full blown BP2.5. Mine has everything that can be had and more inc. quad Bybee`s for all 10 outlets, noise flter, silver wiring, Dynamicaps between the duplexes, Hubbel outles, and a fully lined casing of Stillpoints ERS, this I did myself and I even wrapped the Bybee`s! I have my whole 6 channel HT system plugged into this 2400 watt balanced power conditioner with no problem. As this conditioner is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit, BPT says if the circuitbreaker don`t pop, the the conditioner/Bybee`s can handle the load, PERIOD. Doug, I can put my ear right up to the speaker and not hear a peep, nice improvement from the hiss I was hearing a year ago. BPT will help any system shine by taking out the ground noise and allowing the unheard music to shine. So long as you don`t have an underlining problem in your power that would require power regeneration, BPT`s the answer. Regards, Robin

Jay S

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2003, 02:17 pm »
Check closely about whether the BPT you choose can pass enough current for your amp.  I am a believer in balanced power (I have a Blue Circle Music Ring that powers my entire audio system), but don't get too close to the rated current of the BPT so the transformer doesn't saturate.

You can also consider the DeZorel power filter.  Even their cheapest filter (~$300?) can pass more current than your amps (or your entire system) will ever need.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2003, 02:19 pm »
Check closely about whether the BPT you choose can pass enough current for your amp.  I am a believer in balanced power (I have a Blue Circle Music Ring that powers my entire audio system), but don't get too close to the rated current of the BPT so the transformer doesn't saturate.

You can also consider the DeZorel power filter.  Even their cheapest filter (~$300?) can pass more current than your amps (or your entire system) will ever need.  

You can also look into the Bolder Power Quantum power strip with 2-3 bybee filters built in.  It will also not be current limited.  There was a thread several months ago in which it was compared to a BPT.  

On my end, I've got 2 bybee filters built into the power cord feeding my balanced power supply, so that the power feeding my system is bybee-purified and then converted to balanced power... best of both worlds.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2003, 05:08 pm »
Hi Jay, what`s up? I need to question your comment that the Bolder power strip w/ Bybees won`t limit current. It is my belief that any conditioner w/ Bybee`s are limited to the current capablities of the Bybees themselves which are rated at 15a but Jack Bybee himself told me that this rating was conservative and his large Bybees will handle 20a. I`ve read that the optimum effective range for a balanced power conditioner is 1/2 of it`s capablity, in the case of the BP2.5/BP3.5 would be 1200 watts. We`re talking optimum here tho, not capablities and Chris Hoff told me that his conditioners will operate capablilities are only limited by the 20 a circuitbreaker itself. But you definitely right, why would someone want to test this knowing that they`ve surpassed the point of the units optimum effectiveness and not getting the best that BPT has to offer? Personally, I have not reached that limit in my hometheater system so long as I don`t play my Butler Amps at 0db. :lol: Regards, Robin

Doug_B

No, I'm a Late Nighter
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2003, 03:06 pm »
Quote from: satfrat
Snooze you lose Doug,,, BPT had a deal a week ago on a Quad Bybee BP3.5 to of the line conditioner for the price of a BP2.5 w/Bybee. That is one deal that I would have jumped on, knowing what I know about the benefits derived from BPT.

I guess I stay up late enough to have jumped on this deal, a 3.5 demo with quad Bybee, for close to the cost of a new 2.5. Hopefully will arrive by Friday. BTW, the originally listed demo with quad Bybee was sold prior, but Chris is bumping up what was the last unit available to the quad version, for the same price for which the first quad demo was posted (therefore, a $100 upgrade).

Doug

Beezer

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2003, 03:30 pm »
I should be receiving that first 3.5 with quad Bybee tomorrow ... can't wait!

Beez

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2003, 05:37 pm »
Good deal Doug, Chris will dicker and I think you did real good. I hope both of you guys are as happy with your units as I am with my BP2.5. Please post and let me know how they work out for you two. I am TOTALLY jeolous for the deals you guys got on a much better unit than my own. :lol: Not really,, Regards, Robin

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2003, 08:09 pm »
I didn't notice this thread before. I have two Odyssey Xtreme mono's plugged into a BPT 2.5Ultra. I have had no issues with dynamic limiting.

Prior to upgrading to the Xtreme's, I did have a single stereo Stratos and a BP 2.0. I upgraded the BPT shortly after the new amps arrived. The two new amps can pull 4 times the current of the stereo amp but that is still less than a BP 2.5 (or 3.5) can deliver. :D

The front end gear is plugged into a BP-4 (4 transformers) which I have added Bybee's to. I'll probably add some Bybees to the 2.5's as well one of these days.

The BPT's are connected to a dedicated 20A circuit.

Randy

power conditioning
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2003, 01:48 am »
Do you guys preceive any audio benefit from your units?  At one time, I had an Equi-Tech balanced power unit which is supposed to be excellent.  It did not improve the sound of my system whatsoever. Same for an early Bybee unit I had.  In fact, I have yet to find any power conditioner that adds anything positive to the system's sound.  I now have a Running Springs Haley unit, but the jury is still out on that one.  Perhaps I am subject to unusually poor electrical power (in the evenging hours, at any rate.  During the day, the sound is superb, but goes in the toilet after 6:00 P.M.)  I have Mono Extremes.

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2003, 02:58 am »
Randy,

In my system balanced power makes a considerable difference. Some months ago I had the opportunity to audition a DeZorel filter. As part of that audition I ran the amps directly from the wall and the difference, to me, was not subtle. I hadn't listened to the system for quite a while without the balanced power devices and apparently had forgotten just how helpful they are.

I know several others who own BPT units. One sold his unit as he felt the improvement wasn't worth the money. Another fellow finds an improvement and feels it is worth the price. Yet another gentlemen has them all over his system and from what I have observed wouldn't think of removing them.

I'm surprised the Equi=tech didn't make any positive difference in your system. Good luck in your quest.

Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2003, 03:03 am »
Hi Randy, you must be one of the very few that don`t seem to benefit from balanced power. I`ve personally talked to one other gentlemen who ended up returning his BPT for his money back. Equi-tech is a VERY good unit with lots of bells&whistles, if you didn`t get an improvement with that unit, chances are that you won`t benefit from a BPT, another VERY good unit with excellent basic components for a less than 1/2 the price. I`ve ranted so much about what BPT personally means to me in my system that I sound like a broken record. I think BPT has a place in every home theater as it benefits everything, both a/v, plus it`ll allow your components to operate at their best performance. that`s IHO.  :D  Regards, Robin

Randy

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2003, 11:41 pm »
Thanks, Mike and Robin,
   I may have been one of the first audiophiles to try the Equi-Tech on a home system.  This was three years ago.  As I said, it did not seem to make any improvement on the sound, but as I said, living in Wyoming, our power sources and cabling are probably pretty primitive.  It was a massive unit, a 1.5 Q, but for me it became nothing more than a power strip with surge protection, etc.  Sorry to say, when I was packing it for sale last winter I dropped it and all the insides came loose, most particularly the large and heavy transformer.  That cost me $1500.  (I also had a PS Audio power regenerator, the new 500 watt model, for a few weeks. but nada again for sonic improvement.)  I have pretty much given up on power conditioning if the Running Springs Haley does not do any good.