Michael Clayton

Bigfish

Michael Clayton
« on: 13 Oct 2007, 09:14 pm »
My wife and I saw Michale Clayton this afternoon.  She liked it and had she not been with me I would have left the theater.  Save your money and rent this when it is realeased to DVD.  It is s-l-o-w!!  I will rate it at a 6 out of a possible 10.

Ken

NealH

Re: Michael Clayton
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2007, 09:57 pm »
Well, this is quite a bit different that the review ratings that I have read on this movie - which have been uniformly positive.  I have not read the reviews in detail but, the ratings have been very good.  Perhaps it's the acting that shines.  I had planned to see it tonight but, will likely see it next weekend.  Or, maybe I will just wait and catch it on DVD. 

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2007, 10:42 pm »
Well, this is quite a bit different that the review ratings that I have read on this movie - which have been uniformly positive.  I have not read the reviews in detail but, the ratings have been very good.  Perhaps it's the acting that shines.  I had planned to see it tonight but, will likely see it next weekend.  Or, maybe I will just wait and catch it on DVD. 

The acting was okay but the plot was slow to develop and very predictable.  The movie ran for nearly 2 hours after the trialers and I could not wait for it to end.   

Ken

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2007, 12:49 am »
I'm glad to see brit Tilda Swinton get some recognition.  First saw her in Orlando and, later, in The Deep Pool and there is somethin about her I like.  She's 5'11".  Wonder how that worked out for ole George.   I've read that she is in rehearsal for the next Coen Bros film.  Go on, girl!   
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2007, 01:33 am by jimdgoulding »

NealH

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2007, 01:28 am »
By the way, I'm not sure if it has been discussed but, "Eastern Promises" is an excellent movie.  I saw this last weekend and, it was better than expected.  Much better. 

Anyway, sorry for the detour. 

Nels Ferre

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2007, 02:34 am »
S-l-o-w is an understatement. My wife and I saw it this evening. I fell asleep in the middle and found that I hadn't  missed anything when I awoke, with 30 minutes to go.

drewfidelity

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2007, 02:47 am »
My wife and I just got back from seeing it.  I would give it an 8.  It was more of a character study than a plot driven movie.  The supporting cast was great and, in my opinion, Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkerson stole it away from George Clooney whose performance was better than expected. 

Drew gives it a thumbs up with the understanding that it is a predictable movie with great acting. 

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2007, 03:08 am »
Drew gives it a thumbs up with the understanding that it is a predictable movie with great acting. 

Agreed--my wife and I saw it last night, too. I concur that it was a bit slow, but we both thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. And that last scene between Clooney and the lady lawyer was worth the price of admission.

slow_down

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2007, 03:40 pm »
I just saw it this weekend and have to completely disagree with the naysayers, and also wonder a little bit about what you thought you were buying a ticket for.  Anyone who had done their due diligence would know that this is NOT a Grisham-style thriller.  It was made by George Clooney and Stephen Soderbergh's production company and doesn't have the word "Oceans" in it, so what did you expect?

Sure, the plot was fairly conventional and followed the lines of a generic workmanlike legal thriler.  But all the nuance and shading hung on those lines got to me - I just ate it up.  And guys, the plot in this movie is secondary - it's really all about Clooney's character, the shitty world he lives in and his compromised role in it.  Clooney's great in it.  Tilda Swinton's performance is even better, maybe even worthy of an Oscar nomination.  More generally, the details were perfect.  Of course this is a movie and it's not realistic, but I know a thing or two about large law firms, and they got the feel of it down cold.  The dialogue was bold and intelligent - incredibly strong screenplay.  Not for one minute was I bored.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2007, 04:01 pm »
I just saw it this weekend and have to completely disagree with the naysayers, and also wonder a little bit about what you thought you were buying a ticket for.  Anyone who had done their due diligence would know that this is NOT a Grisham-style thriller.  It was made by George Clooney and Stephen Soderbergh's production company and doesn't have the word "Oceans" in it, so what did you expect?

Sure, the plot was fairly conventional and followed the lines of a generic workmanlike legal thriler.  But all the nuance and shading hung on those lines got to me - I just ate it up.  And guys, the plot in this movie is secondary - it's really all about Clooney's character, the shitty world he lives in and his compromised role in it.  Clooney's great in it.  Tilda Swinton's performance is even better, maybe even worthy of an Oscar nomination.  More generally, the details were perfect.  Of course this is a movie and it's not realistic, but I know a thing or two about large law firms, and they got the feel of it down cold.  The dialogue was bold and intelligent - incredibly strong screenplay.  Not for one minute was I bored.

I am glad you enjoyed it.  I was not entertained, bored and would have walked-out had my wife not been there.  She liked the acting but she is a George Clooney fan.  As far as doing due dilligence, when the wife tells me she wants to go see a movie I lose a lot of options! :lol:  My problem with this movie was that I go to the movies to be entertained.  I spend $25.00 including popcorn and drinks and this movie did not come close to justifying the expense.  Again, of coarse, that is just my humble opinion.

Ken

slow_down

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2007, 04:35 pm »
Ken, I feel for ya.  Nothing worse than shelling out money and dealing with lines to go out to the movies and not enjoying yourself.  Obviously, this movie wasn't your bag.  Lemme ask though, did you think going in that you'd enjoy it?  Did you know anything about it?

In any event, I think next time your wife should let you choose the movie!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2007, 08:17 am »

Ditto!  Not so sure "the details were perfect" but this is the first movie I have seen in a very long time that was not a waste of time.  An unexpected surprise from an industry that coins its existence on pandering sleaze, mindless action, bane comedy, etc.

Definitely not for the MTV generation.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2007, 06:14 pm »
I'm with 'Wind' and 'slow' on this one.  I thought it was a fine movie--maybe 4 of 5 stars--with uniformly excellent acting, including that of Syndey Pollack.  I think Pollack is one of our best low-profile actors; I'd like to see him more, but I suppose he's happier directing than acting.

I NEVER thought the plot was slow, but I enjoy movies about people and their problems more than shoot-em-ups, altho I can and do enjoy them too.  If Michael... shows up on HD DVD, I'll buy it. 

Someone mentioned Eastern Promises, another fine movie and full of the excellent Naomi Watts; I've preordered that HD DVD.

Another legal potboiler NOT by Grisham that I really like is Changing Lanes.  I've called it a legalistic morality tale, and I believe it's one of Ben Affleck's best roles, but that may not be saying much, as I think as an actor he's a little wimpy.  Pollack's in this one, too, and I 'met' and really enjoyed Toni Collette here.  The gorgeous Amanda Peet is nice to see in a small role as Affleck's wife.

And where oh where is Recruit's Bridget Moynahan?  I see on IMDB that she's been in several movies since Recruit, but I don't even recognise the names of them but for I, Robot.