newbie quest. ?

baka

• "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfi
newbie quest. ?
« on: 13 Oct 2007, 04:19 pm »
 Did someone have some experience with this: http://www.emeraldphysics.com/intro.htm
 OB speakers ?

I just discover that Co.

Thx. in advance

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: newbie quest. ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2007, 12:33 am »
Welcome and nice catch!

Looks a lot like the Hawthorne Audio Duet, but with a 2nd woofer and DSP.  Oh and it cost about 3 times as much!!  And Darrel would allow customization too.

Also looks similar to Linkwitz Orion for half the money, but the Orion includes the amplification and uses very top drawer drivers.

For $1900 difference you get the DSP feature.  The best part of it is probably the active crossover (as the Hawthorne Duet has the other features already covered).  The "amplitude matching" is normally done with a resistor and the significant "time alignment" issue (between midrange and tweeter) is pretty covered already with the coaxial design.  So I'm not too excited about this speaker unless they cut the price in half.

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2007, 12:43 am »
FWIW, this would be my No. 1 choice in a commercial speaker offering. It is exactly how I would approach open baffle sweetness, after studying, and experimenting on the matter for four years. The only thing I would change would be in the choice of compression driver; I would use a Radian, or B&C, where here they have chosen BMS. No doubt it sounds fabulous, nonetheless.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2007, 03:36 am »
It's different from a Hawthorne Duet in that there is no Coaxial speaker. The speaker shown at the top of the baffle is a wave guide for the compression driver. The Hawthorne coaxial driver uses the woofers cone as a wave guide. So, it ends up having the same woofer area as a Duet. Other than that, I know nothing of it. It probably does sound good.

Dave aa