NAD & Creek

karthikn

NAD & Creek
« on: 9 Jan 2003, 09:57 pm »
Hi, has anybody owned both amps. from these two companies ?  If so, could you tell me what your feelings were with one versus the other.

I own a NAD 317 integrated and I happened to get a brand new Creek 4330 MKII at a good price recently.  I have done a few hours listening on it and comparing them both.  I have had mixed feelings as I was expecting the Creek to be a step up from the NAD.  I have them paired up with Vandersteen 2CE, Kimber 4TS and my own homebrew CAT5 interconnects.

Thanks
Karthi

bundee1

NAD & Creek
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2003, 05:24 am »
I think you will be disappointed with the creek/2ce combo. ISnt the 2ce rated at 4ohms. The creek is only a 40 watt amp, so the Vandersteens would be too difficult to drive, get something with more power or a speaker thats easier to drive.

karthikn

NAD & Creek
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2003, 12:57 pm »
Bundee1, the 2CE's nominal impedence is 7Ohms and minimum is 4Ohms.  I also tried it with Vandy1Cs which are a bit more efficient than the 2CE at 90db vs 86db of 2CE.  My ear could not make out too much of a difference at the volume levels which I am used to.  My current conclusion of the Creek is this:

1) Better detail and more depth than NAD.  More seperation of instruments.
2) Good midrange.  Sounds better with female voices.  But some male voices like those sandgrit, alcohol driven male Jazz voices seem thinner than NAD
3) Definitely less bass, tighter.  Unable to determine yet if the bass is perceived tighter because it is leaner.
4) Bright.  Very bright.  Ear hurts with some CDs.  The Vandys 1C and 2CE both have a tweeter control where you can do +2db to -3db.  I turned it down -2db to make it bearable.  This is what bothers me a lot now.  The NAD definitely is listenable for extended periods of time.

Now, if there is a way to make it sound less piercing.  I read that there are stuff line tube stages that you can place between your source and preamp that can cure this.  Have to determine if it is worth it or simply finding another amp.

Karthi

Rocket

creek v nad
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2003, 01:16 pm »
hello karthi,

i'm not sure if i can provide you with useful information.  i've never owned a creek product but have listened to a few over the years and thought they were good products.

i have owned the followed nad amps/integrateds nad 3240pe in the 80's, nad pre/power 1155/2200pe amp and currently i use a nad receiver 716 i think.  to be honest i'm not a big fan of nad anymore they are okay.

what cdp are you using is it good quality?  i have had a bog standard pioneer pds 507 with a clock upgrade which improved the highs a fair bit, this could be the problem that your experiencing.

anyway good luck with your choice.

regards

rod