The Zigmahornets

FredT300B

The Zigmahornets
« on: 11 Oct 2007, 02:41 pm »
I completed these for John Prator (KCI-JohnP) just this morning, and they're playing in the smaller listening room. They use Dave Merrill's DCA4 full range drivers. They do the single driver thing very nicely, and the bass surprised me. I was anticipating a bright anemic sound, and it turns out they aren't overly bright at all, and the bass is OK. They are happier with a subwoofer, but for most music they will offer much enjoyment without bass reinforcement.  :thumb:

Here's the link to a picture of the raw mdf speakers:
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721/3/206818126#206818126

Here's the link to a 6 Moons Audio review:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

jrebman

Re: The Zigmahornets
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:09 pm »
Fred,

Thanks for the links.  Looks like a great project.

Can you tell me what the overall dimensions of the cabinet are?  Any idea what the final efficiency is?

-- Jim

Puffin

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:11 pm »
I built some a few months ago out of 12m ply and Fostex 126 drive units.  Quite surprisingly good.

FredT300B

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:17 pm »
Fred,

Can you tell me what the overall dimensions of the cabinet are?  Any idea what the final efficiency is?

-- Jim

I haven't seen any information about the efficiency and haven't had time to compare them to any other speakers. I'm sure somebody else on the forum knows. Here's a link to the enclosure plans:
http://homepage.mac.com:80/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/zigmahornet-plan.gif

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:50 pm »
Fred,

Thanks for the link, but it's a .gif, which doesn't do us blind guys a whole lot of good :D.

Thanks,

Jim

FredT300B

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:17 pm »
Fred,
Thanks for the link, but it's a .gif, which doesn't do us blind guys a whole lot of good :D.

If you click on it, it will expand to a usable and pritable image.

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:25 pm »
Fred,

No, and sorry to be a PITA about this, but no matter how big the picture is, it just doesn't work for a totally blind person -- not visually impaired, not legally blind -- totally blind, as in no light perception in either eye.

I honestly wouldn't be asking for anything I couldn't get or figure out for myself.

-- Jim

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:31 pm »
Hi Fred,

WOW!! They look great, I can't wait to get them. I plan to put them in my office where I build cables, I've already aquired the little Sonic T amp and I think I'm going to pick up an older Sansui tuner to complete the combo. It looks like you did a fantastic job on them Fred, thank you very much! Ready to try real wood now?? :green:

Best regards,
John

zane9

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:43 pm »
I completed these for John Prator (KCI-JohnP) just this morning, and they're playing in the smaller listening room. They use Dave Merrill's DCA4 full range drivers.

Fred, are those drivers still available? Elsewhere, I read that Mr. Merrill is not able to supply and people are using Fostex 103 (I think).

Thanks.

FredT300B

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2007, 05:55 pm »
Fred, are those drivers still available? Elsewhere, I read that Mr. Merrill is not able to supply and people are using Fostex 103 (I think).
Thanks.

I don't know. John Prator has three pair that he got some time back, and I built them with his drivers. I heard that Dave Merrill has been sick. Here's a link to the thread where I saw it:
http://audioroundtable.com/SingleDriverSpeakers/messages/2260.html

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2007, 06:20 pm »
Zane,
To get my speakers I contacted Mr. Merrill directly, I have his email address and will provide it for you below. When I ordered a set of speakers he told me that he was very sick(heart problems I believe) so I ordered two more sets, one set for my parents and one for a good friend.

If you do email him be patient as it may take him a few days to answer you. Good luck and here is his email address: amerrill@web-ster.com

Sincerely,
John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2007, 09:12 pm »
Fred,

Thanks for the links.  Looks like a great project.

-- Jim

Jim,
I'll try and help out here, I can type out the dimensions of the cabinet, will that help? Here we go:

The cabinet is 59 inches tall, 4.75 inches wide and 3 7/8 inches deep. The front baffle slopes back and upwards towards the rear at a 45 degree angle.

The speaker is mounted 19 5/8 inches down from the top.

The cabinet is a front ported design, the front baffle stops 1 5/8 inches from the base and goes back into the cabinet 1 7/8 inches and then upwards towards the top of the cabinet for 5 3/8 inches from the base plate. If this is confusing, let me know and I'll try and clarify. It is a tall slender speaker, looks pretty darn nice though. I can't speak for how it sounds but trust Freds ears as he builds some really nice speakers. I hope this helps you get a mental picture of the design.

Best,
John

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2007, 09:26 pm »
John,

Thanks -- this helps a lot (Ed - ebag4 also sebnt me a description), about the only thing I'm not really getting clearly is the sloping front baffle -- if it's 59" tall and 3-5/8" deep, how do you get the baffle at 45 degrees?  Maybe it is something like this:  The box is rectangular in cross section up until the top maybe 5" or so when it slants backwards to meet the top of the rear panel at the 59" height?

Sounds like a really nice looking design -- now if I can get my hands on a couple pairs of the drivers I'll be all set (I have a couple of local friends who are looking to build something like this and for not too much money, as well.)

A hardwood baffle, or maybe the entire thing, sounds interesting too.

Thanks again,

Jim

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:17 pm »
Jim,
I was worried my description of the sloping front baffle would be a little confusing but you figured it out, that is exactly right, it only slopes from probably the last five inches or so. If need be as soon as I get mine I'll measure that out for you.

Regards,
John

jrebman

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:25 pm »
John,

Thanks and don't worry about it -- I've got the picture and a little trig will tell me the dimensions of the sloping part if I really need it.

Thanks again,

Jim

FredT300B

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:52 pm »
Jim,
I was worried my description of the sloping front baffle would be a little confusing but you figured it out, that is exactly right, it only slopes from probably the last five inches or so. If need be as soon as I get mine I'll measure that out for you.
Regards,
John

This enclosure is so narrow I was able to build it as a simple rectangle then slide it under my 12" compound miter saw and cut the 45 degree angle after the front, back and side panels were glued together. The 45 degree angle really does add visual interest to the design.
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/3533508#199854674

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2007, 02:34 pm »
Whoa, those are some serious tools Fred! :o

andrewbee

zane9

« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm »
...If you do email him be patient as it may take him a few days to answer you. Good luck and here is his email address: amerrill@web-ster.com

Thanks John!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2007, 09:51 pm »
I doubt that the sloped top has anything to do with the sound, you could probably just average the internal height of the cabinet and get the same effect.  But then it wouldn't be a Zigmahornet then would it?