How The H*ll Do You Open a Sony DVP-NS 999ES?!!

gibheid

How The H*ll Do You Open a Sony DVP-NS 999ES?!!
« on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:43 am »
I've recently had excellent results with PS Audio's Critical Link fuses in my amplifiers and power conditioners and I'm keen to extend the experiment to my ModWright Sony DVP-NS 999ES. 

I tried to pop the lid to see what size of fuse was required, and I'll be darned if the thing seems stuck.  I released the 2-screws on the left and the right sides of the panel, and the single screw on the back.  The whole thing pivots up about an inch, but seems to be stuck at the front.  I don't want to force it as I'm getting some stiff resistance.  Does anyone know what I need to do next?

If anyone knows the value of the fuse(s) required, I'd be grateful.  Any info on the fuse for the PS 9.0 power supply would be welcome too.

Thanks for taking the time with this.

Levi

Re: How The H*ll Do You Open a Sony DVP-NS 999ES?!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:57 am »
Yup.  It looks like you almost there.  Looking at the front of the unit, all you need to do is to pull up the rear of the cover and slide it away from you.
There are only a few screws in the back.  I no longer have my Sony. 

You have keen eyes If you find a fuse in your Sony 999ES.   :wink:

gibheid

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2007, 04:09 am »
Yup.  It looks like you almost there.  Looking at the front of the unit, all you need to do is to pull up the rear of the cover and slide it away from you. There are only a few screws in the back.

Thanks Levi.  It still seems stuck.  Should I just grit my teeth and pull harder?!

You have keen eyes If you find a fuse in your Sony 999ES.   :wink:

I need new glasses actually...

gibheid

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2007, 04:16 am »
GOT IT! THANKS LEVI!

I was expecting it to slide back and I didn't realize there was a lip at the front of the case...  :duh:

Thanks again!

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2007, 04:18 am »
You are welcome. 

Now where is the fuse?  aa

gibheid

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2007, 04:38 am »
I'm too astonished by the oil drum sized capacitors to care about a fuse any more!  :o

I'll send my seeing-eye dog in to see if he has more luck than me in finding it... 8)
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2007, 04:55 am by gibheid »

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2007, 11:19 am »
:lol:

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2007, 03:37 am »
I believe that the fuses in the 999ES stock power supplies are soldered PC mount type, not glass fuses in sockets as expected.  You can try upgrading the fuse in the external supply however. I would recommend 3A-4A slo-blo types due to the inrush current.

Thanks,

Dan