Tweeter array inside or outside?

Mike B.

Tweeter array inside or outside?
« on: 10 Oct 2007, 05:00 pm »
providing you have a mirrored pair, what is the advantage of placing the tweeter array on the inside or outside of the midwoofers when positioning them?

RAW

Re: Tweeter array inside or outside?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2007, 05:03 pm »
Outside works the best

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2007, 08:50 pm »
you've just hit on an unavoidable disadvantage of having to locate drivers covering two frequency ranges in a horizontal relationship, as you do with vertical arrays of large numbers of drivers.

The lobing which normally is heard in a conventional vertically oriented two or three way when moving the listening position up and down is now heard when moving the head left and right. In essence, the tone changes as you move across the front.

There can be only one reference axis - i.e. point at which the tonality is correct and frequency response curve maximally flat. The response becomes less linear either side of that. In a typical line array with flat baffles, the acoustic centres of the drivers are more likely to be equidistant from the listener if the tweeters are to the outside, especially if the midwoofers are cones.

You should also ask the manufacturer what the design axis is for those particular speakers.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2007, 12:29 am »
You didn't mention the speakers in question but for reasons Russell mentions above, most of the line arrays built buy AC manufacturers are built for on axis. In other words, you will find you get your best presentation in a center listening position with the high frequency drivers placed on the outside. But again, consult the manufacturer before setting up your (most likely) big, heavy speakers.

RichardS

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:08 pm »
When I got my Selah Incredarrays, I asked Rick (designer) for his advice with this. He said he preferred the ribbons on the outside (wider stage) but to try both ways. I did, and I tend to prefer the ribbons on the inside. Slightly better focus and depth. Facing straight ahead. Room is 23x16x10. Speakers are 7' out from front wall and 9.5' apart. Sounds good.