adcom gda-700 with squeezebox

rmertz

adcom gda-700 with squeezebox
« on: 9 Oct 2007, 09:52 pm »
i may be getting a squeezebox shortly and have been looking for an adcom gda-700 dac.  i know they are now really old but does anyone know where i can get one?  i have been looking everywhere (audiogon, ebay, here).  i am willing to pony up some cash if anyone has one sitting in a box in their basement.

thanks,

ralph

Scott F.

Re: adcom gda-700 with squeezebox
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2007, 10:15 pm »
Ouuu, a new guy  :thumb:

Well, I don't have one. Tim (electricbear) might know here one might be hiding. Did you check with Za (Zaw or however you spell it) down at Alpha?

So rmetz, tell us about yourself and your gear  :green:

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:33 pm »
Welcome on board Ralph, glad you found your way here. You'll find we're a pretty harmless bunch apart from Scott . :lol:

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007, 01:00 am »
You'll find we're a pretty harmless bunch apart from Scott . :lol:

Hey....I resemble that remark.

Carl V

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007, 01:11 am »
and have been looking for an adcom gda-700 dac.   i know they are now really old but does anyone know where i can get one?

Why that one?
They were good DAC's ....actually the 600 had the better chipset
altho' it did not do HDCD..

rmertz

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2007, 01:20 pm »
hey guys thanks for the warm welcome.  i acutally heard about this site from electricbear when i stopped by his shop yesterday. 

Scott F was asking about what i have, it isn't super high end or anything but it sounds good to me.  this is what i have:

B&W DM620 (had since graduating from undergrad a LONG time ago)
Adcom GFA5500 amp bi wired into the B&W's with AudioQuest type 4 terminated with direct gold spades
Adcom GCD700 5 disc interconnected with AudioQuest coral
Adcom GFP710 preamp bypassed with AudioQuest coral

a friend of mine has a squeeze box and can't say enough good things about it.  he has conntected his to a Musical Fidelity 324 DAC and says the sound is great.  i am getting one soon and would like the capability of the 600 or 700 to switch multiple coax inputs so i can use the squeezebox and cd player with the 'better' processor. 

i don't have any HDCD's so i am not so much interested in that as i am the supposedly better redbook reproduction you get with the digital filter.  but this is only from stuff i have read, nothing i have actually heard.

ralph

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2007, 02:13 pm »
Here is one for 600.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adcom-GDA-600-GDA-600-Digital-Analog-Converter-DAC_W0QQitemZ270174894855QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why not give the built in DAC in  SB a try? With a good linear PS a stock SB isn't a bad player.  I don't remember Adcom GCD player (if GDA had similar sound) being awe inspiring when I had it for a long time back in the days when I was happily wallowing in blissful mid-fi oblivion.  Now I am cursed with audiophoolism and think nothing of spending chunks of cash in search of a sonic chimera.   :duh:

Welcome to AC.   

rmertz

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2007, 02:45 pm »
woodsyi - thanks for the information.  my friend did a side by side between the analog output from the squeeze box and his MF324 DAC and said there was quite a difference.  my wife and my pocketbook are not ready to jump up to the super hi-fi stuff as i would start to like it and then before you know it i am writing checks for $3,000 transports and signing divorce papers.

plus with the cost of a used 600 or 700 i think paring that up with a squeezebox vs. getting a modification to the squeezebox would be less expensive.

it was mentioned that the 600 had a better chip set than the 700 DAC; from what i have read i though the 700 was a 'newer' version with a PCM1702P and a digital filter PMD-100 where the 600 had an older set PCM63.  is the PCM63 a better set?  like i said i wanted to pair this with a new squeezebox and connect my existing cd player to it as well.  i would assume the DAC has a better set than the one internal to the GCD700 player?

thanks, ralph

Carl V

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2007, 04:04 pm »
plus with the cost of a used 600 or 700 i think paring that up with a squeezebox vs. getting a modification to the squeezebox would be less expensive.

it was mentioned that the 600 had a better chip set than the 700 DAC; from what i have read i though the 700 was a 'newer' version with a PCM1702P and a digital filter PMD-100 where the 600 had an older set PCM63.  is the PCM63 a better set?  like i said i wanted to pair this with a new squeezebox and connect my existing cd player to it as well.  i would assume the DAC has a better set than the one internal to the GCD700 player?

The Adcom DAC(s) were pretty good for their day....still are actually. 
No, they aren't State of the art either then or certainly now.  But if
you do some Stereophile searches & if possible TAS & AUDIO you should
find some mention of their abilities.  And if memory serves the 600 was
thought to have a slightly better sound...altho' the newer 700 'seemed'
to trade sonics for HDCD and whatever else.  I never did an A/B comparo of 600/700.
And I own a 600.  It was originally used with a Yamaha 5 disc changer. The
a SONY DVD/CD 200 disc juke box....then it went to whole house duties
and hard drive whole house assistance....

Back in the day it was teamed up with a Theta & Monarchy audio Jitter devices.
Theta & CEC drives as well as Cal Audio....were used.
Also back in the day it sat next to my Assemblage DAC kits of various versions.
I also had the cj CDP & DAC.  Yes, I was an audiophool...less so today.
I also had a Genisis Digital Lens to use with all this rigamoro. 

Bottom line, the
Adcom was never shamed or embarassed. 

Good luck to you.  And your idea is sound.  I'm not fond of the SB sonics
by itself.  Whole house it's fine.  But for 2-ch sit down & listen...it's not great. imho

rmertz

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:06 pm »
well i think i have about had it, there were two GDA-600's for sale on ebay yesterday and i lost the auction because i was too busy working on the money pit house.  i am about to pull my hair out trying to find these old used gda's from Adcom!!!  the two for sale were my best bet and now they are GONE!!

anyone around have one they want to sell me?  either a 600 or 700 would suffice.  anyone.....???

ralph

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2007, 05:52 pm »
Ralph,

Check this Craig's list post in Phoenix area.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/ele/448324882.html

rmertz

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2007, 06:58 pm »
wow! thanks! how did you find that so fast!?  i greatly appreciate it.  i will keep you posted if the guy ships out of state. 

Carl V

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2007, 04:10 am »
sorry to hear about the auctions eluding you.

They don't come up on audio sale sites too often.
They sound nice & perfom well.

Let me consider this.  I may sell you mine & buy something
else or rotate another black box out of the closet...like I said
I was an audiophool/pack rat.

rmertz

« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:43 am »
Thanks for the offer!  Woodsyi gave me that connection to a Craigs List in Pheonix but the seller doesn't want to ship it!  Can you believe that!  Here I am 'given' a line on a GDA600 and I still can get one.  Seriously though, if you are willing to sell let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Ralph

rmertz

« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:45 pm »
stay tuned, i sent a 'last chance' email to that craigs list guy in pheonix and i think he may have changed his mind.  i will let you know shortly...

Carl V

« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:35 am »
I slammed at work...give me a few days.