ModWright at RMAF - ROOM 1010 (1000 Tower) - NEW STUFF TO SEE!!!

modwright

We will be showing at RMAF 2007 and want to thank Marjorie and Alan for putting out all the hard work to make this happen again.  It is the show that I look forward to attending each year, the most.

In room 1010 (1000 Tower) we are proud to show with:

Redpoint Audio Design, LLC - Turntable
Art Audio - Amplifiers
Studio Electric - Speakers

Cabling will be by Acoustic Zen.

ModWright will be providing the following:

Sony 9100ES w/Truth Mods - Digital Source 1
Transporter w/Truth Mods - Digital Source 2
SWP 9.0SE - Phono source
LS 36.5 balanced tube linestage - IN A FORM NEVER SEEN BEFORE!

We will have several 36.5's in different rooms at the show and a 36.5 on static display in our room.

IT IS MY DESIRE TO NOT HAVE TO SHIP ANY DEMO GEAR HOME...so please talk to me if you are interested inpurchasing any of the demo pieces from the show.  It will be cash and carry, but all products will carry full MWI warranty.

We have a few visual and aural surprises in store and I am really excited about the system that we have assembled this year.

Thanks and I look forward to see you all in ROOM 1010 (1000 Tower) at RMAF 2007!

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2008, 09:54 am by modwright »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio

LS 36.5 balanced tube linestage - IN A FORM NEVER SEEN BEFORE!

Not even a hint :scratch:
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2007, 12:45 pm by Response Audio »

modwright

Thanks Bill, changed the date...I guess I AM living in the future.

RE the 36.5, it WOULDN'T be a suprise if I told you, now would it ;).

Thanks, and take care,

Dan

modwright

Okay, the big secret is that we 'outed' the first of its kind PS 36.5 completely dual mono tube-rectified AND tube voltage-regulated power supply as an upgrade for the already well-reviewed LS 36.5 balanced linestage.

I had to do it and see how it sounded:  Two transformers, two chokes, two power supply circuits with all MWI MOIP and Teflon caps, a separate relay control transformer and separate filament transformer for the voltage regulation tubes.  We had custom chassis' made to match the same build quality and aesthetics of the LS 36.5, except that we had machined in the lid, two holes large enough to accomodate any variety of the following rectifier tubes, exposed: 5AR4, GZ34, GZ37, 5UVG, 5UVGB, 5V4G, 5V4GB and their variants

I was astounded at the additional weight and body, bass slam and presence that this brought about.  Using dual-oversized power transformers provides limitless current to the circuits.  The completely dual-mono PS construction provides incredible separation and improved resolution.  The tube voltage regulators provide tighter, faster bass and dynamics.  This thing is HOT!  Okay, not literally, thanks to the exposed rectifier tubes ;).

We brought the prototype to the show to get dealer and customer feedback and the response has been exceptional.

The other new item we brought of course, is the new 'Truth' modified Slim Devices Transporter, in its FINISHED form.  The unit we used at the show featured 6N1P output tubes, although 6CG7/6FQ7 and 7308 tubes may also be used.  The 6N1P's proved to be more dynamic and musical.  We chose a NOS Tung-Sol 5V4G for the rectifier.  All modified Transporters will ship with vintage 5V4G, 5V4GB, 5UVG, 5U4GB or 5AR4/GZ32, depending on customer preference and tube availability.

Transporter is on the top shelf.  Violet Redpoint Model 'D' TT on top right shelf, with 'Violet' faced SWP 9.0SE phono stage below.  The LS 36.5 is located on the bottom left shelf, with PS 36.5 dual-mono supply on bottom right shelf.

The synergy obtained with Redpoint, Art Audio's 'Vivo' KR300B P-P 40W/CH amp, Studio Electric speakers and ModWright's electronics was a VERY good thing...

Thanks,

Dan

rpf

Pics of the new 36.5 P.S. please!  :drool:

mca

Dan,

Looks great! Do you have a larger pic of the room you can post?

cwt108

Dan,

When will the PS 36.5 dual-mono supply made available to the public? What will the cost of this upgrade?
Since it is a power supply upgrade, do I need to send in the unit back to you? I remebered that this upgrade is anticipated in the original LS 36.5 design. There is a space reserved above plug for this upgrade right?

Great work.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio

mca

Sweet!

Thanks Bill  :D

natemil

I have to note this was one of my favorite room. 

I was amazed with the sound quality, accurate with dynamics, coming out of the wireless Slim Devices Transporter.  I didn't even know it was a wireless set-up until Dan explained it to me; I'd never imagined the level of accuracy from a wireless set-up. 

Dan continues to amaze me!!!

Happy Listening,
Doug

modwright

First of all, thanks guys!  The show was great fun, I got to meet many of you for the first time and had the pleasure to see others, again.

I was very pleased with the sound and I want to give a heartfelt thanks to Joe at Art Audio for letting us use and DEBUT his new 'Vivo' KR300B P-P tube amp.  The synergy with MWI's products, along with Art Audio, Redpoint, Studio Electric and Acoustic Zen cabling was exceptional and for those who were there, it spoke for itself :).

I was excited to be able to debut our new dual-mono PS 36.5 power supply with dual tube-rectifiers, dual tube voltage regulators and complete dual-mono design (okay, only one AC cord though).  It TRULY elevates the performance of the 36.5, I believe, to a degree that matched the improvement going from the 9.0SE to the 36.5.  The improvement with the outboard supply include MUCH better separation, imaging and a bigger and more detailed soundstage.  The bottom end and weight of the presentation is much greater with very fast, deep, tight and controlled bass.

The stereo separation of course is attributable to the dual mono design.  By using two transformers, the current load on each transformer is halved, allowing for greater current availability to the driver tubes which results in greater body and bottom end extension and punch.  The unit is built to allow for the vacuum tube rectifiers to be exposed.  This allows for the use of the following rectifier tubes: 5AR4/GZ34, GZ37, 5U4G, 5U4GB, 5V4, 5V4GB and their variants.  Lastly, the use of discrete tube voltage regulators allowed for greater control, speed, transients and microdynamics and detail.

The Transporter with mods also truly exceeded my expectations and confirmed in my mind that this IS the way of the future - i.e. computer-based music servers streaming digital. The Transporter is a great option because it gives the audiophile TRUE REFERENCE levels of performance and all the flexibility that you could want.  I am actually inspired now to build a computer/server for our music room that will be designed with removeable drives and a WELL cooled CPU with ultra-quiet fans, etc.  NO, I am not getting in to the computer building business ;), but I have recently learned the benefit of additional CPU cooling and the use of quite fans of course make the inclusion of a computer in a music system more reasonable.  I will likely also apply shielding, etc.  The other simple solution is a laptop of course, but I believe that a tower 'desktop' computer will allow for more flexibility in a music room.

Lastly, I have to point out that our $3K SWP 9.0SE phono stage was VERY well suited to the World-Class $35K Redpoint TT, Helios arm and Prometheus cart.  Several reviewers expressed interest in reviewing the SWP and these will follow.

We are still finalizing retail pricing for the LS 36.5 + PS 36.5, but I believe that intro pricing will be:

LS 36.5 + PS 36.5 = $8750.
PS 36.5 as upgrade to existing LS 36.5 owner = $3995 (includes labor to factory retrofit 36.5 to accept external PS 36.5).

Retail price for the LS 36.5 with internal supply is firmly determined at $4995.

The LS 36.5 is available exclusively through ModWright Instruments Dealers.

The Transporter modifications are available direct from ModWright.
Modification Cost = $2000.  At this point, we are not stocking the transporter units, but we may in the future.

Exciting times at ModWright and much more to come!  Please stay tuned.

Thanks guys!

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2007, 03:57 pm by modwright »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

Dan, your last 2 links aren't working, Google say forbidden. Thought you'd want to know.  :D

Robin

AB

Copy Dan's URL into your browser thingy and remove the "?" at the end. Hit go or whatever.

You'll get a DL dialog and once DLed you get a pic of the Transporter and the SWP.