Sell me a headphone amp....

WilliamL

« on: 7 Sep 2003, 04:15 am »
Looking to buy ASAP: Headphone amp, no tubes please, USA/Canada purchase only.

Buget variable but I am looking for a decent deal. Will also be willing to barter with some Eighth Nerve products in this deal if attractive to anybody.

Thanks and Cheers,
Bill Laurent

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2003, 04:30 am »
The only ones I would sell have tubes in them (Musical Fidelity X-cans and World Audio HD83), but I can recommend a very inexpensive portable solid state headphone amps that sounds GREAT - the Xin Supermini available from http://www.fixup.net - it runs of 3 AAA batteries that last for about 180 hours and it sounds GREAT.  And it is super small, about the size of a pager.

If you decide to get one, I recommend getting the extra battery back so you can use a 9v battery in addition to the 3 AAA batteries, with the better power supply it will drive high impedance headphones (like my Sennheiser HD600's) with ease.  But you have to get the analog pot volume control option, as the standard digital volume control will overload with that much voltage.  Still, very cheap, and he sends them out fast.

I have one with the digital control and another one with analog pot on the way.  Highly, highly recommended.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2003, 05:19 am »
Tyson,
What is the best configuration to buy?
Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2003, 06:46 am »
The main things are the analog pot (so you can use a 9v battery instead of an extra 3 AAA batteries, and also so you don't need an adapter to hook it up to home gear as opposed to portable gear - the digital volume control is quite delicate), the current source/cascaded current source and the extra battery booster (so you can hook up that 9v battery).  The crossfeed option is also nice.

Also, the supermini only has a 1/8" mini input and output jacks.  If you want RCA input's, you would be better off with a Meta42 based amp from someplace like http://www.headsave.com - the Ultra headphone amps is a little more expensive, but it is based on a similar circuit as the supermini, but has more room for bigger/better parts, and can be run off of two 9v batteries, as well as having RCA inputs and a 1/4" output jack.

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2003, 11:13 am »
www.head-fi.org has a wealth of info about headphones, amps, etc. in its forums.  It also has  an extremely active for sale section.  

What sort of headphones are you using?  It makes a big difference.  I would reccomend checking out the homebuilt Meta42 amps, esp. those built by JMT (give him a private message on that board to get ahold of him).

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2003, 01:01 pm »
I use the Sennheiser HD 600. I would be using the amp on the road with MP3 files. What would you reccomend for top quality?

Thump553

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2003, 03:09 pm »
Good headphones-that's what I use.  In fact, my audio system at the moment consists of Senn 600s with an RVK Mark II (tube and very large) amp.

I'd suggest the META42-very good quality, reasonable price.  Or check out the Corda line that Meier audio makes and sells-Jan is a good guy and will give you solid advice.  He's in Germany but ships here.

I'd also suggest getting something with crossfeed if possible.  Its a very nice feature for headphones.  Some people don't like it but if so, just turn it off.

KevinW

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2003, 03:31 pm »
Heh,
How about an ASL MG Head OTL that's been modified?  I put black gates in the OTL circuit, for a HUGE improvement in sound quality and bass response.

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2003, 04:36 pm »
Quote from: KevinW
Heh,
How about an ASL MG Head OTL that's been modified?  .

Heh, that best not be mine!!!  :wink:

KevinW

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2003, 05:00 pm »
Oh woops... caught in the act!   :nono:

Actually, it's my personal unit that I want to sell.  I've also just agreed to sell my Twinhead preamp, which uses a 2A3 tube that is OTL coupled to the headphones.  It's getting the full Jena Labs and blackgate treatment.  can't wait to hear it, after I finish Gordy's amp :)

Thump553

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2003, 08:36 pm »
He specified no tubes, though, and I suspect he wants something portable as well.  Otherwise, the MG Head is an excellent choice at a reasonable price.

mojoman

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2003, 06:00 pm »
I recently purchased a Xin Supermini from fixup.  It really does sound awesome and it is very small.  Fixup is now testing something he's calling an inline headphone amp.  Pretty amazing.  I want one.

http://www.fixup.net/products/inlineamp/index.htm

audiojerry

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2003, 08:42 pm »
Mojoman, wow, is that COOL!!!.
I'm glad this site has been brought to my attention

Jay S

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2003, 03:17 am »
Xin really moves quickly.  I ordered my SuperMini v6.2D a few days ago and there was no mention of this inline amp at the time.   :?

Jay S

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2003, 09:15 am »
Just got my SuperMini a couple of hours ago.  I'm listening to Yahoo! radio right now through my laptop.  I'm using 2 old cables to hook up the SuperMini to the laptop -- a mini jack to a pair of female RCAs, connected to a pair of male RCAs with another mini jack at the other end.  Talk about jury-rigged!  :lol:

It seems a little bright right now, compared to listening directly to the headphone output of my IBM Thinkpad, but Xin mentioned that the caps are pretty large and can take up to 3 weeks to burn in.  Also, let's not forgot these jury-rigged cables.  I may get a custom Bolder M-80 with mini plugs on both ends, but I may just get an OFC cable with mini jacks on both ends from the local electronics shop (if it is cheap).  No need to spend on great cables till I start listening to decent sources.