Hello everyone I am a newbie

Castanza

« on: 9 Jan 2003, 08:08 pm »
I just found out about you guys, on audioasylum. I am new also to that board. The reason I joined was because I am so naive about all of the products of today. I just recently purchased a dvd player for the holidays. So than I decided I needed to get speaker stands, and when I was out looking you can imagine. I have a onkyo tx-sv454 receiver, with front & back& center mirage speakers. I just recently got the center:omni polar. Anyway I guess now after listening to  prologic 11 and dts and etc I want it.  I am now trying to learn what i can. I am trying to get something decent for home theater/music. Heck, 5 channel is new to me. I have looked at the denon avr 1603 & 1803. Also the integra dtr 5.3. So I have the fever.
P.S.
I don't know if any of you are Cigar smokers, but I am on the cigarweekly board as Castanza.

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2003, 08:27 pm »
First question back is budget?  How much are you looking to spend?

How large is your room?
Do you have a subwoofer?
What model TV do you have?

For starters you picked a couple good receivers to listen to.  I don't think you could go wrong with either of them as long as they have the features you require.  Make sure you like the remote.  It is a shame to pick a receiver based on the remote but a well laid out, back-lit remote is nice.

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2003, 11:06 pm »
One other thing to keep in mind:

You have something now that sort of works. You even have fairly reasonable components (don't know your existing Onkyo but is seems to drive your existing complement of speakers.) DPLII is nice if you want to turn stereo into 5 channel but I don't think many here would do that.

You say you want to develop your system for video and music. I was where you are about 18 months ago. I thought I was building a movie system but found myself listening to more and more music over time.

Many members here have totally seperate music and video systems. That is not always practical and I have a hybrid system that is optimized for music.

Now the advice (worth every penny): try to hold off on buying things quickly while you're still not certain about what you want to achieve.

Alternatively, you can just buy and sell and gain experience that way. Audiogon and our own AC Trading Post are good for that sort of thing.

Good luck!

2channelguy

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2003, 07:51 am »
Hey Castanza! I'm a poster over at Cigar Family and go buy mocajava. Smoking a Hemi Best Seller right now. Mmmmmm.  :mrgreen:

I don't go over to CW much. Heard you guy's just had a makeover. Maybe I'll wander over there and look you up. Nothing better then kicking back, lighting up a fine one, and listening you're favorite tunes.

Take care!

Jason.

Castanza

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:17 pm »
Hi 2 channel guy, yeh nothing better than listening to great music, and drinking ?, with a good cigar. Oh well, drop the cigar, I don't smoke in the house. Guess I need to install speakers on the deck this spring.
Anyway Maxcast, I don't have a sub woofer, the room is the traditional living room not large, my guess probably 12x16 or smaller, and the tv is a older toshiba. Right now the video is not an issue, since I want to hold off for the next couple of years before buying a hd tv. The toshiba is a monitor tv that my wife probably got at least 7 or 8 yrs ago.

I am not sure if I want to keep the dvd player I just got from Sears for the holidays. It is a nr-315 the one advertise from 99-129.95. I kinda wonder if i should get a unit that has more audio features.