What Preamp for 14bsst do you like the best????

mclsound

What Preamp for 14bsst do you like the best????
« on: 7 Oct 2007, 06:55 pm »
hi guys,i have a Anthem avm30 pre/pro(it is only temperary),14bsst(a keeper),PMC IB1's(also keepers),Raysonic CD128(has balanced outs,looks cool and sounds great,a keeper for now??).....i have heard the bp26 once at Audio One and a Krell setup on a pair of Krell Resolution 2 speakers,i found the solid state to be harsh and edgy,i also heard a VAC Auricle once and liked the sound,soft and more relaxed.......but hear is the kicker,i LOVE ROCK(hard,soft,southern),dance(i like the recording quality),jazz,r&b......i am looking for a fully balanced system with ht bypass........what have you tried and loved??????????????????????

thanks John

p.s.  i am open to pre or pre/pro (have thought about bp26,sp2,AR Reference2 mk2,Anthem D2)

amdan

Re: What Preamp for 14bsst do you like the best????
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2007, 11:32 pm »
I use a Supratek Sauvignon (with HT bypass - special request) with my 14 B ST and am happy with it. For more info see

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1016931418&read&keyw&zzpreamp=deal=of=the=century

Apparently this is the longest thread in Audiogon history (> 3000 posts) so you will have to be patient. Perhaps read the first bit and the last bit.

Burke

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2007, 11:48 pm »
After looking at (and listening to) a fair number of AV controllers and preamps (some with, and others without, HT bypass), I concluded that the Bryston SP2 was "the one" among today's offerings. If you like an absolutely quiet "noise" floor, and superlative reproduction of what is actually in the source material (neither gummed up with "warm" / pseudo-"musical" manipulation nor autopsied with excruciatingly dry, overly-analytical rendition of the sound stream) then the Bryston SP2 is a winner for both HT and music.

The SP2 is an outstanding performer, sound-wise, for multichannel and movie soundtrack playback. As you are probably already aware, it does not incorporate any video switching of any kind, which is actually one of the things which appeals to me. I prefer to switch video sources at the video display device, not in my pre/pro, so the SP2 fits my system "work flow" perfectly. Teams up perfectly with the 14B SST or some 7B SST power amps (including the option of 12 volt on/off switching).
fully balanced system with ht bypass
The SP2 offers balanced outputs, and with a built-in bypass mode that incorporates the same circuitry as the BP26, it can't be beat for two channel stereo playback. Although a bit pricier than some pre/pros offering more "bells and whistles", IMO, the SP2 offers more fundamental value without being overladen with trendy gimmicks. In terms of actual audio performance, its true peers are typically much more expensive than it is.

Hope you get a chance to audition the SP2 in your own system, trying it out with the source material you like to listen to. That's what won me over.

Burke

yyz

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2007, 03:27 pm »
I use BAT VK-42SE (a SS pre-amp).  I like the warmer yet detailed sound of this combination. Both amp and pre are long term keepers and I have no intention of changing either.

I switched from Bryston BP-25 with MPS-2 power supply to the BAT. I use Bryston 7B-SST amps which are stated to be the same as 14B-SST. Speakers are Revel Salons.

spud

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2007, 06:43 pm »
   Tubed , tubed ,tubed. VAC, CJ, Carey, Audible Illusions 3A. You get the picture, warm tubes. Makes a great synergy.

spud

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2007, 08:52 pm »
I have used a Hovland HP-100, Lamm LL2 deluxe, Lamm L2 ref and currently have a ARC LS-26 mated to my 14B-SST and all have provided excellent albeit different results. You should still try a BP-26 within in your system to ensure it doesn't work for you. I can personally attest that a BP-26 tied into a 14B-SST amp and while may not be for you is a synergistic pairing!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2007, 09:28 pm »
I can imagine that a Electrocompaniet EC 4.8 Fully balanced pre would be a nice.
It has massive slam, warmth and almost tubelike presence paired with a great soundstage. (for a transistor pre) Hey it's an EC!
Again, only a thought, Have not heard such a pair make music.

Imperial

mclsound

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:33 pm »
thanks guys
john

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2007, 08:10 am »
The BP6 is a great lower cost alternative to the BP26! I can attest to this because I'm the owner of 1.

Lavazza

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2007, 12:18 am »

The BP6 is a great lower cost alternative to the BP26! I can attest to this because I'm the owner of 1.
[/quote]

The BP6 does not have balanced outs. Does anyone know if you can get it with them?

Lav

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:28 am »

The BP6 does not have balanced outs. Does anyone know if you can get it with them?

Lav
[/quote]

No sorry the BP6 is not available with Balanced outputs.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2007, 08:01 am »
hi!
i do own both- the bps26 and the sp2 (amp is 4 bsst c-series). the first unit i got was the 26. it was a big big improvement compared to my pioneer receiver i used to listen to. i was more than satisfied. then i wanted to have a better surround machine for me and i got the sp2. incredible sound- no question.
i started to compare them (sp2 in bypass mode vs. bps26).. what i found is that the 26 has a little better highs, mids and bass! although both amps have the same gain stage.
and this is what i always wanted to know! does the bypass-mode sound definitely the same as the 26? question answered.
don't want to confuse you- both preamps are unique. and i am not going to give the sp2 away. but what i know now is that the 26 is in my living room for stereo and the sp2 (with a 9bsst following) goes to the 2nd living room for surround.

the next item is the bcd-1...can't await. :thumb:

greetings,
al.