Wireless card for Desktop PC ?

Antman27

Wireless card for Desktop PC ?
« on: 5 Oct 2007, 03:06 pm »
Hello all , I am having Voice over IP phone service installed next week .
I think I will move my modem into my garage (since that is where the phone jacks and alarm panel is)
Since the phone will need to  be pluged into the modem
What would you suggest for making my PC wireless ? A USB Fob device or a wireless card ?
Also has anyone ever used them wireless phone jack extenders

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RC920-Wireless-Phone-Extension/dp/B00000J0AR
Thanks for your thoughts

Antman27

Re: Wireless card for Desktop PC ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2007, 11:47 pm »
No Thoughts

Rashiki

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2007, 12:12 am »
Hello all , I am having Voice over IP phone service installed next week .
I think I will move my modem into my garage (since that is where the phone jacks and alarm panel is)
Since the phone will need to  be pluged into the modem

You're talking about a cable modem or DSL modem, not a dial-up mode, right?

What would you suggest for making my PC wireless ? A USB Fob device or a wireless card ?

I would recommend running ethernet cable to your PC. It's more reliable than wireless, but if you can't run cable, USB should be fine, as long as it's USB 2.0 and not 1.1.

Does your modem have a built-in wireless access point? If not, your best bet is to buy a wireless router.

Also has anyone ever used them wireless phone jack extenders
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RC920-Wireless-Phone-Extension/dp/B00000J0AR

I have. It justs allows you to add a phone jack to a room using your power lines rather than running phone cable. You plug one adapter into a phone jack and power outlet, and then you have another adapter which just plugs into the power outlet. You can then plug your phone into the second adapter. It works reasonably well for voice calls.

-Rob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2007, 02:16 am »
I too would use ethernet for your PC. Wireless is more expensive and less reliable. It can be VERY unreliable depending on environment and product incompatibilities. Also could be a security risk depending on whether you care.

For me wireless is for using the laptop on the deck or the easy chair. I don't see it as "ready for prime time" unless you are willing to be a techno geek and spend the techno geek money.