My visit today to Omega Speaker Systems

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
My visit today to Omega Speaker Systems
« on: 4 Oct 2007, 11:50 pm »
I have been rebuilding my audio system bit by bit over the last six months or so, and I have been researching speakers for a few months.  I keep coming back to Omega speakers for a number of reasons.  I like the enclosure design, Omega speakers receive consistently good reviews, and the single driver approach appeals to my personal aesthetic that simple designs are perferable to complex, over engineered solutions.  At a time when mass market speaker companies are cramming in an absurd number of drivers, Omega's designs really do say that less is more.

Louis was kind enough to invite me to his Norwalk, CT shop for an audition.  I live in Northeastern CT, and Norwalk is a little less than a 2 hour drive.  I had the day off today so I grabbed a handful of CDs out of my music library and headed to Norwalk.  Louis met me at the entrance and led me through the shop back to where he has a listening room setup with a number of different amps.  Three different pairs of Omega speakers graced the front of the room and there was also a new Omega subwoofer there as well.

First up was the Super 3 XRS.  I was awestruck by how much room-filling sound the smallish 4.5" HempCone drivers were capable of.  I thought to myself that these would be perfect speakers for a small room or apartment where space is at a premium.  They don't take up a lot of real estate and they sounded great.  Louis then switched in the subwoofer.  Holy smokes was I impressed!  We were listening to some Don Caballero, math rockers known mostly for the virtuostic drumming of Damon Che.

Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns

I think the Super 3 XRS and DeepHemp subwoofer combo doesn't loose a thing to many rigs costing twice the price.  As impressive as the Super 3 XRS's were, I was really taken with the subwoofer.  The bass was tight and fast.  Louis showed me the 8" driver for the sub, and it was massive and heavy for its size.  I'm used to seeing larger drivers in subs, with 10" and 12" sizes to be pretty common.  I own a Mirage dual 10" sub with a 350 watt amp.  It was a fine sub for movie sound tracks but I always thought it was a bit boomy.  The DeepHemp is far superior for music.  The bottom end comes through clean and clear with incredible focus.  I was already thinking about buying the sub with whatever speakers I ended up picking out and we were just getting started.

We then switched in the Max Hemps and listened to some music first without the sub.  I like all sorts of music, but I'm a huge hard bop jazz fan.  It probably represents 60% of my listening.  So it was time to listen to some John Coltrane.

John Coltrane - Blue Train

To my ears this was a near perfect test of the capabilities of these speakers.  I was not disappointed.  These speakers were very articulate and detailed.  The Max Hemps I auditioned were finished in mahogany with black pedestals, they were beautiful but not overdone.

We then tossed on some Charles Mingus and I asked Louis to switch on the sub.

Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah

The first cut from this album is called Hog Callin' Blues and it was rip roaringly good.  I think the Max Hemps can stand on their own just fine.  But the more I listened to these speakers the more I felt that they can benefit from a sub.  Bear in mind the the room used for auditioning is large, 20' x 20' at least, and has a very high ceiling of about 15'.  My room is 15' x 14' wtih an 8' ceiling.  I think the Max Hemps will sound even better in my room than they did at Louis' shop.  The sub will add what amounts to that last tiny little bit at the bottom, and a case can probably be made by most folks to do without it.  For me, that sub really is part of the package, and after being thoroughly impressed by its fast, tight, and focused bottom end, I simply cannot imagine not having it in my room.

So....I will be buying a pair of Max Hemps, finished in mahogany with the black pedestals, and the subwoofer.  And I will be getting all of that at a very fair price (Thanks Louis!).

I would like to add that Louis was a terrific host.  After chatting with him for a few minutes it was clear to me that he has a passion for music and takes great pride in his speakers.  He even graciously tolerated some U.S. Maple and their deconstructive approach to rock, with their angular guitars and off-kilter sound.  Anyone who can sit through Letter to ZZ Top without heading towards the exit gets my vote.  :wink:

If you are within reasonable driving distance of Norwalk, CT, I strongly encourage you to make the trip and go hear these speakers.  You'll be glad that you did.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2007, 03:25 am by jsaliga »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: My visit today to Omega Speaker Systems
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2007, 01:17 am »
Oh...I almost forgot.  We also listened to the Minutemen:

Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

I wanted to hear this one because it is such a well recorded and mastered title.  The drums, bass, and guitar come through with exacting clairty on good gear.  The bass lines in particular are wonderful.  This was the album that really sold me on the idea of getting the Max Hemps with the sub.

--Jerome

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2007, 01:56 am »
Jerome,

Well written essay of your audition! :thumb:

BTW, what amps did Louis use for the audition?

--Raj

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2007, 03:30 am »
Hi Raj,

IIRC it was an 845 based integrated tube amp.

The amps I will be driving the Max Hemps with are 300B mono blocks.

--Jerome

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2007, 06:55 am »
Nice clean looking amps aa. I imagine that they will give the Hemps what they want.

By any chance did you listen to the Omega Bi/dipoles at your audition?

--Raj

Jampot

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2007, 09:37 am »
 :green: :green: :green:

I wish.....

Let us have an update when they are in your room please, Jerome :thumb:
Jim

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2007, 12:14 pm »
By any chance did you listen to the Omega Bi/dipoles at your audition?
No I didn't.  I don't recall seeing a set of them there.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2007, 12:17 pm »
Let us have an update when they are in your room please, Jerome :thumb:
Will be happy to do so, though it will be a while.  I'm looking to take delivery at the end of November.  I need to budget for it as I am trying to fight the temptation of funding the purchase with plastic.  Louis is very flexible and easy to work with.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2007, 01:39 pm by jsaliga »

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:34 am »
Hi Jerome,

Many thanks for your wonderful post and so sorry about the late reply. I was very happy that you took time off to stop by and it was great meeting you. I really enjoyed all the music you brought including the U.S. Maple, but the Minutemen CD was amazing and got a copy on the way.

The Maxhemp sub combo hit it right on and my room being unusual hurts a little and your room will sound better for sure.

Great pics of your mono blocks and the chassis works is amazing. I'm sure they sound great and got to stop by to hear the new rig.

Thanks again,
Louis

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2007, 10:53 am »
Hi Louis,

I've been extremely busy with work this week but will be calling you this morning to get the ball rolling on my order.  I'm really looking forward to the speakers.  I've been snapping up a lot of classic hard bop jazz vinyl reissues from Blue Note, Riverside, and Prestige lately.  I also have been accumulating used vintage vinyl as well: both jazz and classical.  By the time my speakers are here I will have a lot of new music to break them in with.  :)

Talk to you soon.

--Jerome

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2007, 11:57 am »
Jsaliga. wait until you hear the Riverside recording's on the Omega's.  It is so good it will bring tears to your eyes.  You will finally be able to understand what the musician's were trying to say.  Thelonious Monk, sublime. 

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:11 pm »
I called Louis and got my order in a few minutes ago.  This is very exciting.  8)

There are so many great hard bop jazz recordings that I know so well, having many of these timeless treasures on vinyl is such a treat.  I don't have any particular label preferences.  Blue Note, Verve, Prestige, and Riverside were the standard bearers for jazz through the hard bop era.  There are a lot of vinyl reissues out there that still are not available on the CD format.

I'm expecting great things from the Max Hemp/sub combo.  After hearing it for myself I am quite confident that I will be very happy.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2007, 12:56 am »
It's been a while to be sure.  I just sold my Klipsch Reference Speaker setup on eBay today to make room for the MaxHemp and DeepHemp setup I bought from Louis.  The buyer just drove off with them so now I will be speakerless for the next few days.  :(

The good news is that I suspect that my Omegas will be shipping early next week and since I live about 85 miles from the shop I should have them fairly quickly.  :drool:  In the meantime I will have to make due with headphones.

When the speakers arrive I will post some photos and provide commentary over time as the speakers break in.

--Jerome

Danimal

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:28 pm »
"When the speakers arrive I will post some photos and provide commentary over time as the speakers break in."

Jerome,
Please do.  I will be looking forward to seeing pics and hearing about them.  What finish did you go with?  Congratulations on your new set up!

Dan

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2007, 12:35 am »
Hi Dan,

Louis has a lot of wonderful finishes which can make choosing somewhat difficult.  I really like the Italian red gloss but also love the wood veneer finishes as well, and so I ended up going with mahogany.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2008, 06:53 pm »
Excitement...

The MaxHemps came today!  The stands and DeepHemp sub are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

More to come...

--Jerome

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2008, 07:01 pm »
Sounds like a lot of fun being had over on the East Coast!

Good for you, I have had good conversations with Mr Omega, but have not had the pleasure face to face.  Much longer drive from Toronto!

Looking forward to some pics, I bet the Dodd's will really get along well with those Hemps!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2008, 01:57 pm »
I plan to start a new thread with pictures that will focus on my listening experiences with the new speaker setup.  Last year I did a complete upgrade of my home audio system.  I ditched solid state amps and went with separates using a tube driven preamp and 300B monoblocks, then added a vinyl rig, and of course new speakers courtesy of Louis.

The second shipment will arrive later today (with the MaxHemp pedestals and DeepHemp sub).  I spent about four hours last night listening to the new speakers, but I won't comment on them yet (until the entire rig is completely assembled) other than to say the MaxHemps are very resolving - moreso than any other speaker I have owned.  They have a long way to go to break in though, so I am just getting started.

--Jerome

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #18 on: 3 Jan 2008, 08:34 pm »
The sub and pedestals were just delivered a few minutes ago.  This will be my last post to this thread.

I should have a new thread up with pictures and initial impressions sometime on Sunday.

BTW - The sub is gorgeous (AND heavy!!).

--Jerome

JDK1

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jan 2008, 09:04 pm »
Jerome -
For the DeepHemp, did you go with the Standard or the Cube version?
- Jonathan