HT Preamp Mod

peabody

HT Preamp Mod
« on: 3 Oct 2007, 08:18 pm »
I'm a long time Modwright customer and currently own both the Sony 999ES with the
Signature Truth Mods and a SWL 9.0SE preamp with the tube-rectified power supply. 
I currently use the Modwright preamp for 2 channel music (CDs, radio and Squeezebox)
and a Meridian 568.2 preamp for DVDs and cable TV (utilizing the HT bypass on the
Modwright).  Everything sounds great, but I'd love to simplify things and only have one
"super" preamp.  I think an ideal solution would be to take a decent HT preamp and have
Dan perform similar mods to what he's doing with the transporter - tube analog stage,
tube-rectified power stage, etc.  For me, having a one box solution that provided both
great sound for digital surround as well as tube output for the 2 channel sources would be
perfect. 

I spoke to Dan about this and he was interested, but he stressed it couldn't be a "one off"
solution - we'd have to agree on a suitable HT preamp for the mod and if there was
enough demand it could be worth doing.

So my question is:  are other people interested?  Any suggestions for a HT preamp?
I'm thinking of something like an Outlaw 990 - a unit that's a decent starting point,
not too expensive and available in the used marketplace.

Pete

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: HT Preamp Mod
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:06 pm »
You'd need something with decent real estate inside, and a good topology that allows for a clean analog 2 channel mode.  The Bryston SP-2 is a candidate for decent stereo-pre-within-a-pre/pro.  The Integra 9.8 is a hot commodity, mainly due to its features.  I'd assume, though, that it's full to the gills internally......dumb assumption, but it sure is large and has a plethora of capabilities.

peabody

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2007, 06:29 pm »
I hadn't thought of the Integra - that may be a good choice.  I was also thinking
the Cary Cinema 6 or Cinema 11 might be a good option.

Ted - I noticed you have the 11.  How good is the 2 channel sound?

Papajin

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2007, 07:11 pm »
I would definitely be interested in such a beast depending of course on what platform actually was chosen to base this on.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2007, 07:44 pm »
I hadn't thought of the Integra - that may be a good choice.  I was also thinking
the Cary Cinema 6 or Cinema 11 might be a good option.

Ted - I noticed you have the 11.  How good is the 2 channel sound?

I don't use it for 2 channel...I have this other thing......something callled an LS 36.5 for that purpose.  :thumb:

peabody33

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2007, 01:40 am »
Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I'm wondering how viable the Cinema 11
would be as a mod unit.  I'm guessing you compared it to your LS 36.5.  So
was it 50% "as good" for 2 channel?  70%? 90%?

I'm thinking Dan needs to start with a decent preamp, since the products he's
previously modded have all sounded very good in stock form.  Since the Cinema
11 is reputed to be an excellent sounding unit for both surround and 2 channel
and doesn't have any video switching circuitry, it might be ideal.  (BTW, this
logic probably eliminates the Outlaw I previously suggested.)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2007, 02:29 am »
Sorry, but I haven't compared it at all in 2 channel mode.  I have nothing ananlog 2 channel connected to it.   It's bypass is 7.1 and I'm not sure how well it does 2 channel analog bypass.  But what the ehck, I'll try it and report back.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2007, 12:13 pm »
Here's a view inside the incredibly feature-laden Integra DTC 9.8 (aka Onkyo Professional PR-SC885P). 

Dan, does it have room for your goodies...maybe tube front end and upgraded ss outputs for the remaining 6 channels? :green: