New 15" driver info please

warnerwh

New 15" driver info please
« on: 3 Oct 2007, 05:58 am »
I read on another forum that they really like this 15" driver. I'd like to see the T/S parameters. I will build myself a good HT subwoofer. I built a large ported sub using 2 15" SS drivers early this year and I'd never heard anything like it. It is amazing, period.

That sub was for a good friend. My living room is much smaller and the sub will go behind the couch in a corner.  Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble but if I do I'll use one of the new receivers with equalization built in.

The box I'll be using is already built but is oogly(first one) and I guarantee you my wife will come up with a way to hide it back there :lol:.  Especially when she finds out what I'm doing. It's 8.5cuft and I want to port it for maximum output capability.

I'll buy it if I like it as soon as they get in which I understand is pretty soon.  Thanks

Kevin Haskins

Re: New 15" driver info please
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2007, 08:31 pm »
The driver is the Tempest-X.   I have T/S for the prototypes but I don't want to post them.  I'd be glad to PM them to you.   I prefer to take my own measurements from the production run which I don't have yet.   

They are scheduled to ship next week and then there is a couple weeks on the water and another in customs so we are looking at the end of October until I have stock.

My recommended ported box right now for your application would be 8.5 ft^3 with two full length 4" Precision Ports and very close to 100% fill.  I'd use a subsonic filter.... if you only have a standard plate amp I'd aim for 14Hz 2nd order.   If you can find something with 4th order electrical you can push the corner frequency up higher and keep a couple db more output and still get better protection for your driver.

These simulations are with about 800W into 4 Ohms.   A 500W@ 4 Ohm amp would be a good match.

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2007, 12:23 am by Kevin Haskins »