diffractionbegone products

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: diffractionbegone products
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2007, 01:09 am »
Robin-  I will solicit some comments from future customers but I do want to keep my site compact on the advice of a salty old dog that’s been in the publishing business a long time and still thinks I’m a total amateur.  “Nobody’s gonna read any of that, boy.  Put a goddamned picture up there and not one of those peanut photos you showed me!”  I selected a mix of edited responses from customer and industry sources for what it’s worth.  But, I think I know where you’re coming from and may add more as I go. 

Shout out to Boris . . Thank you, sir, that is very gracious.

Actually Jim I wasn't referring to your website at all. It was a lack of comments I got from Googling your product all tho I did get the review that you highlited. But now that you brought it up, your website is a little bare. I just figured it was because you were just getting started and that can be difficult no doubt.

My Lorelei's must be the execption to the rule as far as horizontal/vertical = cabinet/tweeter spacing as there's actually more cabinet vertically than there is horizontally. Who would have thunk it?  :scratch:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 4 Oct 2007, 02:13 am »
Yes, Robin, ole bean.  The height above your tweeter mounting bracket is about the same as the distance to the sides.  In most cases, there is less.  Were I to fit for you there would be a 2.50" cutout around your dome with .75" of felt on the bottom and 1.25" on the top and the width of the pad would be approximately 7.50" across or as you may like.  They could be black if you prefer and they will work absolutely beautifully.

Actually, I have at my fingertips some surrounds that are 4.00" X 6.75" that would look more balanced with the size of your cabinets without any real loss to speak of.  These are the size I've been selling from the beginning with only a smaller size for monitors with smaller mid/bass drivers than yours.  Black or med grey.  I might have a modest concern about the height of your speaker face above your tweeter, but not much.
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2007, 02:31 am by jimdgoulding »

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #22 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:58 am »
Hey Guys,

I tried Jim's product on several different speakers that I had on hand. It worked really well. At the price he is now offering it, it is well worth giving it a try.

Here is the response of an A/V-1 that I had on hand. The red line is the stock measurement and the blue line is with the added diffraction be gone.

It sounded better too. I recommend it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #23 on: 4 Oct 2007, 05:50 am »
Damn.  Timed out again.  Thanks, Danny.  Danny has a more impressive off axis measurement.  And it sounds good to me . . literally, er, audibly.  I've been trying to move a DEQX calibrated graph from a customer in Brisbane, God bless him, using bi-amped Dynaudio Special 25's by-passing the crossover in very fine increments that shows a smoothing out of peaks and valleys from 4000Hz to 10kHz with my surrounds in place.  I honestly don't know how this might be relevant to what you and I hear but it's a beauty to look at.  Anyway, I put in on my desktop but can't paste it for here for some reason.

Robert Greene, the technical editor of The Absolute Sound, said in a 2001 article on digital room correction that a 1/2 db plus or minus is audible.  But you know what?  This is just dumb luck.  I think it's a by-product of the design and the material as stated previously.  My intention was to deliver an improvement in the time domain and this is what I want those of you with traditional box speakers to hear.  I'm just nuts about what I'm hearing.  I could say more about what you can expect but that would take the fun out of it.  Let me just say that your consciousness will thank you. 
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2007, 04:15 pm by jimdgoulding »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #24 on: 4 Oct 2007, 06:05 am »
You have a PM Jim.  8)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:23 pm »
In my last two posts, I think I may have gotten excited and overstepped the intended purpose of this circle.  That's the way it looks to me this morning.  I don't want this thread to die as there is good discussion going on here about the BIG picture.  I will respond to any personal inquiries, of course, by PM.  Please keep your suggestions coming.  Thank you.  Jim

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:27 pm »
In my last two posts, I think I may have gotten excited and overstepped the intended purpose of this circle.  That's the way it looks to me this morning.  I don't want this thread to die as there is good discussion going on here about the BIG picture.  I will respond to any personal inquiries, of course, by PM.  Please keep your suggestions coming.  Thank you.  Jim

Jim,

You may also consider starting another thread that would serve as some sort of customer support. If you send a PM then wider audience gets locked out.

Just a suggestion, feel free to do as you please.

Best,
Boris

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2007, 03:32 pm »
That's for the suggestion, Boris.  All of the suggestions here are appreciated thus far.  Trust me, I'm thrilled at the dialogue here and appreciate the advice.  Jim
« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2007, 04:17 pm by jimdgoulding »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #28 on: 4 Oct 2007, 07:38 pm »
Hey Jim, here's another concern I have regarding wool products.  I should have mentioned this more specifically than what I posted last time, but here it is, now.  With the wool I have used in the past, after a few years, the wool starts to fall off - i.e. the adhesive layer is still strong on the speaker surface but the wool itself has disintegrated, is no longer cohesive enough, and thus falls off the speaker.  Have you had any experience with this?  I'm sure there are ways around it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 4 Oct 2007, 08:43 pm »
I hope that I understand you right.  Does the felt you use have an adhesive coating on the back?  Is that what's giving way?  The postage stamp size Velcro tabs I use can be replaced as time goes by should they ever lose their adhesiveness and that make the surrounds removable or portable as a user sees fit.  Adhesive coated felt makes me very nervous.  Besides I like the idea that there is a little space between my surrounds and the speaker surface for air to breath.  What goes in ain't coming out is my theory.  Am I getting you, brother?  You can do this easily enough I would think.  Is the felt itself damaged?  Were you able to get that adhesive coat off your speakers?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2007, 08:51 pm »
Yup, the felt I used was adhesive backed, and also very high percentage wool.  I think the combination of those two factors probably caused its demise.  The wool just doesn't hold together as much, any more, and is feeling more and more reminiscent of how loose an old wool sweater feels.  Not that fine and smooth, of course, the wool fibers in the felt are short and bristly, but I think you get the idea.  As such, it's not the adhesive that is giving away, it's just that the wool isn't holding together any more.  I think using a lower wool percentage felt may be the only way around that.  Your velcro tab idea probably also helps very much, since you can easily just get some new velcro tabs.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2007, 10:04 am »
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some but you really ought to spring the dough and let me send you what I want you to have.  You sound like a man who might could give a pretty good evaluation.  Cheers.

topround

« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2007, 06:16 pm »
The way we change equipment around here, who keeps the same speakers in a system for a few years :icon_lol:
Oh, you meant the felt may fall off some "normal" persons speakers in a few years. :duh:

mike

ooheadsoo

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2007, 06:25 pm »
Jim, thanks for the offer!  No need to take you up on it, though, because I don't use those speakers any more.  Truth be told, I loaned them to my family, and I think my grandma blew a tweeter, and since the tweeters are about $100 a piece, and typically sold in matched pairs, I'll pass on fixing them, for now.  My current speakers use a waveguide, so I don't think it would work that well for this particular design.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #34 on: 7 Oct 2007, 01:24 am »
No sleeping here is appreciated.  I'll be posting a couple of reviews soon to include those "notes" my customer is "distilling".  Thanks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm »
Greetings.  It's Tuesday the 9th.  There is a preliminary review from a member/customer using my product on his Vienna Acoustic Haydn's that I invite you to read on The Critic's Circle under Accessories.  There is more to follow along with some other reviews that I will post in due course.  I have discussed the science taking place and the benefits of my design above.  Some speakers that I have fitted for are 3 ways crossing over to the treble driver at a higher frequency point yet with very similar feedback.  At their listening positions, traditional box speakers owners using my surrounds are hearing more of what their systems are capable of delivering.  And more of what was intended.  There are some very good microphones out there and some pretty enlightened people behind them and lord knows what they, my customers, or you have put into your systems.  What my customers are hearing is more honesty to the source because of the correction taking place.  And it's the gift that keeps on giving.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2007, 02:46 am by jimdgoulding »

Jazz and Baroque

Felt surround on Wilson Audio Duette
« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2007, 04:46 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering why the high-end speaker manufacturers didn't put these on their tweeters. 

Take a look at page 116, TAS November 07.  That sure looks like a felt surround on the tweeter of the new Duette from Wilson Audio.  But Wilson does not use a smooth circle; it is a "star" cut. 

Mike

Russell Dawkins

Re: Felt surround on Wilson Audio Duette
« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2007, 05:31 pm »
But Wilson does not use a smooth circle; it is a "star" cut. 
Mike

I wonder why  :scratch:

mfsoa

« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2007, 06:14 pm »
I has some great Mirage bookshelf models (SM 0.5?) 25 years ago that had felt rings around the tweeters.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2007, 06:34 pm »
My old Mirage M990s have a Ti tweeter with a shaped surround and a soft, textured surface...

I'd like to try these surrounds with my Omega XRS...