Is it possible to connect a FlatScreen TV directly to an amp?

Bemopti123

I am in the process of getting a FlatScreen TV and I wonder if it is possible to use some sort of Audio output, preferably variable, into a pair of OP chip amps and directly into the speakers. 

The model I am interested in is the Toshiba Regza 1080p model, 42". 

Some flatscreens seem to provide variable outs, but I wonder how they truly sound. 

Anyone with this sort of set up here? 

PS:  I am not interested in getting an extra piece of equipment to make this work, I am interested in simply using what I have as an audio extension of the TV.

Thank you for any input.

mcgsxr

Not sure if my experience will translate well to your proposed system, but I have successfully directly connected my Sony Vega 32 CRT into a gainclone.  I basically used my TV as the preamp, with DVD, satellite etc connected to the Sony, then on to the amp.

Worked fine.

Trouble started when I wanted to connect both the gainclone, AND a powered sub...

Bemopti123

Is there an audible Thump when the TV powers down? 

mcgsxr

I don't recall, it was 2 years ago - I since bought a Panny SAXR-25, that I put in place of the GC amp.

I still use the TV as the preamp, and the Panny is on 24/7 - I hear no thump at present, during on and off activity.

Bemopti123

I am sure there is a circuit that prevents this thump, but who knows?  I am ordering the flat today.  They have plummeted a lot since this Summer.