Super cheap super-tweeters for my Omega TS-2R monitors

masi76gc

I own a pair of classic (old "Omega" logo) TS-2R monitors with the older FE-164 drivers.  I love the speakers, but I always felt that they can sound just a tad bit nicer if they had a bit more sparkle.  I decided to experiment with some really cheap tweeters as super tweeters and ended up with something like this:

Yes, that's a regulation ice hockey puck!

I used a breadboard for my crossover, but you can hard-wire.

Close-up of the "crossover".

I experimented with different capacitor values and "tuned" it by ear.  The result is more top-end air, better imaging and better transparency.  The total cast was less than $50!

I would like to hear from other Omega owners who have experimented with budget solutions for super-tweeters.

Louis O

Re: Super cheap super-tweeters for my Omega TS-2R monitors
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:07 am »
Hi masi76gc,

Many thanks for sharing your super tweeter project. Looks great too. I think that's a hi vi research tweeter. Hockey pucks are actually really good for damping too.

Thanks again,
Louis

masi76gc

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2007, 01:31 am »
Yes, those are the Hi-Vi Research TN28 tweeters.  I have seen them on sale for as low as $9.95 ea.!

reikso2h

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:40 pm »
What are the component values that you used for the crossover? At what frequency does it crossover? It looks like you have everything in series, capacitor -> resistor -> tweeter -> GND, is that correct?

-Mark

masi76gc

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2008, 10:42 pm »
reikso2h,

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Yes, the x-over components are all wired in series just as you noted.  The capacitor is 1.5 microfarads and the resistor is 2 ohms.