Hi guys. I'm new.

Mikeintoronto

Hi guys. I'm new.
« on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:54 pm »
I'm Mike.
Nice to make your acquaintances.

You guys seem kind of intimidating.  Some of the gear I see here is $$$$$$.
I dabble in the DIY building(not designing) area of this.  Don' understand the art od crossovers.  That's left to the masters of this hobby.

I am aboot(cdn humour) ready for sleep after working the night shift.  So I will just put up a couple pics so you can see what I am about.  The pics you see have not been photoshopped in any way.  To get an idea of the size of the speakers that is a 58" tv there.  Each speaker was(more on that later) 500lbs, 80" high, and 15" wide.  2" thick front baffle with all 1"mdf bracing and walls. The original design was from CJD of htguide and I added the active dual 12" subs that are on top.  All the drivers are from the Dayton Reference Series.

I also built the audio rack and the tv stand. It's not that I like the raw look of mdf I just always seem to build things in the late fall early winter when it's cold outside.
I am now building 2 18" subs.
I am more of a home theater guy not 2 channel music.  Although I do enjoy everything from Sarah McLaughlin to Metallica.

Here are some pics of my towers dubbed "Project Overkill"
I hope the pics aren't too big.

The subs(2 of them) I am building.

That's all for now. I need some sleep.
There is a story behind the speakers.  If anyone is interested, it will be a long one I will post it later on tonight.

Mike

BTW  Yes the speakers sound great.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Hi guys. I'm new.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:40 pm »
Howdy Mike,

Welcome to AudioCircle. We have a great bunch of guys here. Although a lot of us are crazy and intense about the hobby, we have a blast doing it.

You'll have to come out and attend our next TAAS get together and hang out. A lot of cool people come hang out from all different backgrounds and tastes.

BTW, your speakers look great. Nice job!  :thumb:

You'll have to fill us in on what they're all about.

I think you'll fit right in.  :green:

Cheers

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:34 pm »
Welcome Mike, glad to have you aboard.

Ahem, what, you couldn't build any large speakers, so you settled for those!   :lol:  Looks like a ton of fun to move around...

I like the overall design, and am happy to have another DIY guy around.

All the best,

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:04 pm »
Nice HT room Mike. I like!! 
Did you have a hard time finding a label, "11" for your amps volume knob?  :lol:
Very cool room.

Bob

p.s. By the way, video screen shots look better when diapers aren't involved.  :wink:

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:13 pm »
Mike,
Nice speakers... welcome to AC! Are the speakers easy to drive? They must blast you across the room, hehe.
Mike