Speaker Wire Gauges?

ABEX

Speaker Wire Gauges?
« on: 4 Sep 2003, 03:31 pm »
I am looking to make some new speaker cables using a new design that I have come up with for insulation and geometry. I was wondering what might be the best gauge to use.

I have already done the IC's which are really good using 24-26AWG,but for 8-12ft. Speaker cables I thought 22AWG might be a good gauge to use. 20AWG seems to be about as thick as I would want to work with. The exception would be Bass wires for Bi-Wiring which I could go down to 18AWG. I used TARA LABS Space & Time TFA for Bass drivers which worked good for that purpose which are 18AWG I think,but I do not know weather that would be good for the Midrange, Tweeters as they do not use as much juice.

Anyone done any research into this?

I would probably only use Silver for the topend and Copper for the bottom.

Any info would be appreciated!

TIA,ABEX 8)

audioengr

Speaker Wire Gauges?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2003, 06:44 pm »
I would recommend 20 gauge or smaller for individual conductors and a total equivalent gauge of at least 12 if not 10.

gary

Speaker Wire Gauges?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2003, 02:14 am »
Quote from: audioengr
...a total equivalent gauge of at least 12 if not 10.

why is this? i'm not being facetious, i'm really curious to know. i made cables with 22, 26 & 30 ga. (1 run per in each direction) and they sound great. will things improve if i use four runs of 22 ga. like several speaker manufacturers do?

-gary

audioengr

Speaker Wire Gauges?
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2003, 03:31 am »
Because the cables will have low resistance as well as low-inductance and therefore will work well with a broader range of speaker impedances and efficiencies.  If you change speakers, do you really want to build new cables?

ABEX

Speaker Wire Gauges?
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2003, 04:06 pm »
"low-inductance and therefore will work well with a broader range of speaker impedances and efficiencies."

There is the danger of having loss of HF Info .That was my thinking originally. A poster I sent 26AWG cable to was telling me that the cable got warm after driving it hard. He uses highly inefficient speakers(Maggies) along with an amp that would do very well used as a welding unit.

In such situations I think it would be beneficial for having Hose wire,but if you are using SET amps you might beable to get away with smaller gauges provided the runs are not real long. The OTA works well even though it is alittle cut in the HF.It does get the Midrange correct though.

I will try doubling up 20ga. wire first then see what I come up with. The thing I am noticing though is my best geometry used with 26AWG for IC's works great for a 1m run. I am wondering what results might be using the same geometry with 20AWG in a speaker run.

Do you find that Geometries that work in IC's work just as well in speaker cables?
To take up less space I will try a straight twisted design.

One thing is certain using straight runs of Silver for IC's has a brightness that I cannot tolerate. I do not see how companies that sell such designs can accually get bussiness. No offense Steve if you sell such a design, I just do not know how to make them work. Maybe adding an insulator helps. I plan to experiment to find out.

Thanks for the responses!