Lowdown on David Berning amps please

Mathew_M

Lowdown on David Berning amps please
« on: 9 Jan 2003, 04:41 pm »
Ok, so AC member Xi-Trum recommended me to check out David Berning's amps to power my VMPS 626 ribbons.  I did and I have to say that after reading the website and just one review of the ZH270 that this amp just might be the perfect companion to the 626r.  Fast, transparent, dynamic but with a solid touch of the tube presence.  Unfortunately with a list of $4500 and practically no means to demo I'm    :o  :D  :|  :?  :(

Kishore seems to be the only member who has matched the Berning with a VMPS speaker.  The 70 watts would be more than adequate I would think for the 626.  

The fact that it has 2 inputs with a passive volume control could mean that I could possibly swing putting off the pre-amp upgrade for awhile.  Anyone have experience with the integrated features?  Hell anyone who has heard or know of way to help me demo one?  

thanks.

Rocket

hello
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2003, 11:24 pm »
hello matthew,

have you thought about the aksa range of kit amplifiers.  i've just assembled one and if your like me you could get someone to assemble one for you.

this amp has just bested my n.e.w. battery powered amp which cost about $3000us new.  i'd go for the aksa 100 and total parts would come to about $750us for you, a small investment if you don't like the sound of it.

anyway good luck.

regards

rod

Kishore

ZH 270s
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:29 am »
Mathew,

The Noble Pot used in the ZH 270 is inferior to Excellent Passive Bent preamp. There was a slight decrease in bass and lower extension-I have to use word slight but apparent. ANd remember this was on comparisons with a wonderful preamp.

I intend to mod my Berning later on with a DACT/stepped attenuator equivalent to achieve a bent like performance.

Without going into expletives/adjectives I will just say that the amp is wonderful-donot let 70W rating fool you (coz it is kinda otl-less)...You can also set amp to your sound preference (by varying impedance) I just bumped into this old link today

I believe new ZH270 is $3800 from dealer. Go for it, and if you don't want it place it on audiogon for same price-it will sell since there is atleast a 2 month wait.

Cheers,
Kishore