NuForce 9 V2SE and Merlin VSM - MMe

Luca Italy

NuForce 9 V2SE and Merlin VSM - MMe
« on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:12 pm »
Hello,

I’m Italian and I’m sorry for my “poor” english language. Two months ago my NuForce Reference 9.02 were upgraded to the V2SE version. What a beautiful sound!! Now I’d like to upgrade my ProAc Studio 140 loudspeakers. I’m thinking about the new Merlin VSM – MMe, but I can’t listen to them driven by the NuForce. Mr Palkovic, at Merlin, is very, very kind and honest. Today he sent me an e-mail saying that switching amps like NuForce driving Merlin VSM loudspeakers could sound lean in the bass and too much forward in the mids. I’d like to know if someone has listened to NuForce 9V2SE with Merlin VSM – Mme and could report progress.
Thanks a lot in advance

Best greetings
Luca

My setup
Source: Meridian G07
Preamp: Bruce Moore Companion I
Amps: NuForce Reference 9V2SE
Speakers: ProAc Studio 140
Interconnect cables : JPS Labs Superconductor 2
Speakercables: Audio Note AN-Spa
Power chords: MIT Magnum AC1 ( Meridian )
          MIT Oracle ZIII ( NuForce

mcullinan

Re: NuForce 9 V2SE and Merlin VSM - MMe
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:52 pm »
Luca,
I have the Nuforce 9 V2SE and the Merlin VSM MX (The only difference is mine have lead in them somewhere??) I must disagree and say they make a wonderful combination. I do use a Supratek Sauvignon which is a tubed preamp, so perhaps that helps the sound. To me I dont hear anything too forward in the presentation, and it really can come down to the recording quality. This is a very revealing combination, and is not forgiving of porly recorded music. But as for the bass, it is taught and powerful. When its there its there... no flabbyness. Id say the combo is very musical, but it took a while to get there. The Merlins are very particular about where they are placed. It took me a few months of moving them around to find the right spot (and Im serious, a few months!) They are heavy too! My listening space is not optimal (12 x 17) so this may have been one of my issues. I would compare the listening feel to a live sound. I am a happy camper... but will still upgrade! I also have a pair of Timepiece 3.0s coming so I will use them in the same system. Good Luck!
Mike

Luca Italy

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:34 pm »
Hello Mike,

thank you very much! I also have a tube preamplifier, the Bruce Moore Companion I , but yours is a lot better! My room is about ( 13 x 15 ), but in the near future I could change my listening room.

Thanks a lot
Best greetings
Luca

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:34 am »
Did Mr Palkovic from Merlin listen to Nuforce V2 amps before making his comment ? Or is he just making a generalized statement?  Some people are still thinking all class-D amps are the same.

Karsten

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:31 pm »
I doubt Bobby has been listening to NuForce amplifiers. The Merlin speakers are usually optimized for amplifiers with a very low damping factor. This gives the midrange bloom and performance tailored into the construction. This means that Bobby's statement is not addressed to the quality of the amplifiers, but rather that they do not match his design philosophy.

Regards,
Karsten

montag451

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2007, 10:30 pm »
hi, luca,
i'm experiencing a very good matching, 8.5 v2 and magneplanars mg12 qr.
my advice is to listen to them, or, if your room permits, bigger magnepan models. clarity, speed, no blooming bass, beautiful voices are the first things that spring to mind. in my setup, no tubes anywhere (said by a tube addicted like i'm..), no regrets. just music.

Luca Italy

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2007, 06:04 pm »
Hello,

thank you very much for all your precious advices; sorry for being late in answering you but I’ve been out of town. I can’t know if Mr. Palkovic made a generalized statement; I just think that NuForce 9 V2SE is a beautiful, linear, neutral amplifier.

Thanks a lot
Bye, Luca

P.S. Dear Jason,
I’d like to know if you have taken occasion  to listen to Merlin VSM drived by your unbelievable amplifiers.
Thanks, luca