Tips on KECES' USB DAC's setup

Zyca

• Industry Participant
    • Acoustic Fun Web Store!
Tips on KECES' USB DAC's setup
« on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:54 am »
Here's a very simple tip that not only applies to KECES' USB DAC, it is also useful for other USB based sound devices.

On Windows, it have a habit of turning the volume down to 50% whenever you plug in a USB based device.  It trims the volume by reducing the bits of usable output.  For example, the computer want to cut your volume, but it have no real volume control at hand.  It will simply reduce the 16bits data to 15bits, basically reducing the usable dynamic range of the music, and at the same time, also reduce the volume of the sound being produced by the USB DAC.

This have a very significant effect on the sound quality, just make sure you crank up the volume on your computer to the max, and use an external volume control equiptment (your pre, integrated, headphone amp, or whatever you happen to use).  You will find that there is a lot more detail than when it is set at 50% on your computer. :)

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Re: Tips on KECES' USB DAC's setup
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:21 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I never really thought about it, but now it's so intriguing that I'm tempted to hook up an amp to the PC and hear the differences for myself. I typically keep software volume at ~75% (not to push the op amps at the output too hard) and adjust the analog level, but will reconsider now.

Very nice looking product and affordable, me think  :wink:

I like that shipping from Taiwan is not outrageous either ($30 to the US).

Boris

Zyca

• Industry Participant
    • Acoustic Fun Web Store!
Re: Tips on KECES' USB DAC's setup
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:39 am »
Thanks for the tip, I never really thought about it, but now it's so intriguing that I'm tempted to hook up an amp to the PC and hear the differences for myself. I typically keep software volume at ~75% (not to push the op amps at the output too hard) and adjust the analog level, but will reconsider now.

Very nice looking product and affordable, me think  :wink:

I like that shipping from Taiwan is not outrageous either ($30 to the US).

Boris

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the kind comment, we've been playing with this current design for a while now, there's actually a very first prototype from 2003 that looks quite different from what we have now.  We've been having some fun with this since then, and there are many refinements and improvements that we had since added. As well as some setting tips regarding this DAC.

Here's another tip that comes to mind:

For people who prefer to use this USB DAC for purely musical purposes, please set your Windows' default sound device to your sound card, so that games and other stuff will automatically choose the sound card as their primary output device.  When you want to enjoy some music, use Foobar's output device selection menu to force output to USB DAC and ignore the original setting.

This way, you have have the cake (USB DAC for music) and eat it too (3D sound effects from your sound card for games).

This tip, of course, will work with any sound device, not just USB DAC.  In case you got two sound cards installed in your system now, you can give this a try. :)