iPod/iRiver -> VHP•2->Headphones

knut_the_viking

iPod/iRiver -> VHP•2->Headphones
« on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:55 pm »
To clearly display my ignorance; here is a question.

So I got myself a iRiver T10 mini music player. I kind of like it.
Wife also got a iPod (5g) that she likes.

I don't like earbuds and clips and that nonsense, so I started looking around for good headphones. Sennheiser 650 and AKG 701 seem like low risk choices.

Now, after overdosing on various threads about headphones and amps, the only consensus seems to be that one needs a headphone amp.
Any amp seems better than no amp.
The VHP•2 is well regarded, and people seem to like it.

I am considering one of those to use with various sources(PC, iMac, CD, etc), INCLUDING iPod.
Can the iPod work with the VHP•2? Maybe the iRiver too?

It would seem that I would need a cable with 3.5mm mini jack and RCA plugs.

Oh, and if we can make gentle suggestions on headphones (without starting a flamewar), feel free to opine on Senn/AKG

Knut
(Recovering audioholic about to fall off the wagon)

BradJudy

Re: iPod/iRiver -> VHP•2->Headphones
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 10:27 pm »
You are correct on all counts, and on a good track.  The VHP-2 (and most other headphone amps) can connect to an iRiver or iPod using common cables.

I don't have any experience with the AKG-701, but it gets a lot of good press and I'd like to try it sometime. 

I used to own Senn HD-600's and Grado SR-225's and currently own Beyerdynamic DT-880s (and numerous earphones).  All three are great headphones, but the DT-880s are my favorite (very detailed and clear).  I don't think you could go wrong with the Senns, AKG or Beyers - the Grados are sometimes disliked for comfort reasons, so that's a bit more of a risk. 

Just to check, you know the VHP-2 is a home headphone amp, not a portable one - just checking since both sources you mentioned are portable.  There are other good options out there if you need a portable amp.

knut_the_viking

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2007, 10:30 pm »
Just to check, you know the VHP-2 is a home headphone amp, not a portable one - just checking since both sources you mentioned are portable.

Yes I do know, and it's what I'm looking for. The place and time when I can appreciate the sound quality is when I'm in my quiet living room with no distractions.

Thanks for your input!

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2007, 04:17 am »
The VHP-2 should work well for your application.
Unlike many headphone amps, VHP will work well with most any headphones.
The Senn 650's are a favorite of many, but also pricey...if you want something less expensive, the Goldring DR-150's come very close in sound quality and comfort (not quite as detailed, but with bigger bass). They also have a single side detachable cable.
Others I really like are the Ultrasone's...I use a pair of HFI-650's 90% of the time...sweet & big sounding and are closed-back.

kkc

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2007, 01:12 pm »
wouldn't it be better to use lineout from the mp3 player to the headphone amp?

knut_the_viking

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2007, 12:01 am »
wouldn't it be better to use lineout from the mp3 player to the headphone amp?

Not sure what you're asking... There is only a headphone output on the MP3 player, not a "line out".
But we are thinking of using the headphone output to the headphone amp.

kkc

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2007, 01:49 am »
for some mp3 players accessory lineout cables are available that connect into the same connection used to connect the player to the PC e.g. on the ipods its the connection at the base. the lineout is an unabmplidied signal and therefore purer than headphone out - ideal for feeding into Dusty's amp.  Make sense? If not ask again.