Birdseye Maple 1801's

Darren Thomas

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« on: 4 Sep 2003, 12:55 am »
Here are some pics of my latest project. I just finished these 1801's for Doug Ngai.

jackman

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2003, 02:59 am »
Great work, you are a true artist.  Hopefully, you will get back in the speaker making business.  You have a real talent.  A rare talent!

Jack

neilr11

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2003, 01:01 pm »
I want those!! Great work!!

F-100

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2003, 03:02 pm »
Darren,
  Looking  at your cabinet is like looking at a centerfold of a Playboy magazine.  She is so fine and sexy :wink:

JoshK

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2003, 03:09 pm »
Darren,

Those are gorgeous!  Have you ever done dark mahogany cabinets?  We are buying new furniture and the wife chose dark mahogany, which is pretty but doesn't exactly match my natural cherry speaks.  I'd love to see what a pair of speaks look like in dark mahogany.

Darren Thomas

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2003, 03:14 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Darren,

Those are gorgeous!  Have you ever done dark mahogany cabinets?  We are buying new furniture and the wife chose dark mahogany, which is pretty but doesn't exactly match my natural cherry speaks.  I'd love to see what a pair of speaks look like in dark mahogany.

Thanks JoshK,

I've done natural mahogany but never stained any cabinets that I've built for customers. Natural finishes are highly sought after so I haven't had a request for staining. I'm sure it would look quite elegant though :) I really like Walnut which would probably compliment the dark mahogany quite well.

shokunin

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2003, 11:35 pm »
Natural Mahongany with an oil finish looks amazing similar to oiled cherry.  The dark red color of mahogany is due to exposure to UV that darkens the color of both mahogany and cherry.  Now the dark dark red mahogany we typically see is stained, but I would think cherry RM40's would match quite well with the mahogany, even if the mahogany is a darker color.  My living room is paneled with tung oil/boiled linseed oil/spar varnish mixture on Mahogany that looks very similar to my cherry flambe speakers.

JoshK

Birdseye Maple 1801's
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2003, 01:39 pm »
shokunin,

Thanks.  I will see how they look when my furniture arrives.  I imagine it will probably look fine.  BTW, this is the stained dark, dark mahogany.