Has this happened to anyone?

rustneversleeps

Has this happened to anyone?
« on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:29 am »
Has this happened to anyone of you who tried to use a tape recorder with an AVA preamp in the past?

When I used my tape recorder in record mode with an AVA Pas 4i preamp, and with the monitor/ source switch on the tape recorder in source, I got this loud motorboating sound out of my speakers, and pegged both meters on the recorder.

Also if I listen to a tape with the tuner on, I heard crosstalk from the tuner.

Frank said it was a tape loop, just don't put the switch in source. But why doesn't it happen when I used my tape recorder with other preamps or receiver with tape in/out function?

So what's wired differently in the AVA preamp? I thought there was some industrial standard for selector switch wiring in audio. Did Frank sacrifice correct wiring for better sound? After all, most preamp nowadays do away with the tape in/out function.

Does this still happen with the newer AVA preamp, I wonder.

martyo

Re: Has this happened to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007, 12:18 pm »
Hey Rusty,

Last year when I got my first piece of AVA gear, Super Pas 3i, I remember something with the tape monitors worked different than what I was used to. It might be what you are talking about but I really can't remember, I just know that after I familiarized myself with the tape functions, it all made sense to me. I have a T8 now and I believe it is wired the same way but I haven't actually used any tape functions other than using the Tape 1 for my TV output (Austin City Limits and Sierra Center Stage) 8) 

rustneversleeps

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:46 pm »
I have no clue or not be able to understand the AVA owner's manual on how that input/tape rocker switch work.

All I know is if I am player a record, or a CD, when I put the rocker switch to tape, the input source disappears. So that tells me it may just be another tape output switch, same as the one on the selector switch, but on a rocker switch?

Preamp should not generate system damaging tape loop.

gjs_cds

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:58 pm »
It's a tape loop, and works like any other tape loop that I've ever used.  Ever.  If your tuner is not in use, turn it off.  Recording would probably be better if directly wired from Source > Tape anyway.  I fail to see why this is even an issue. 
:deadhorse:

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2007, 04:37 pm »
Rusty,

When you move the rocker switch from SOURCE to TAPE, you are "disconnecting" all your source inputs, such as your turntable and cd player, and connecting to the tape.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:22 pm »
And if your selector switch is set to "Tape", you are connecting tape to tape; it doesn't like this at all, so it screams at you.  Every pre-amp. I've ever owned works this way.  How else could it be?

rustneversleeps

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:04 pm »
first off, every receiver and preamp that I've ever used with tape function doesn't have tape loop, no crosstalk from tuner either when it's on, I like to tape some of the jazz stations, you know, not everyone is burying his head in his CD pile.

When the rocker switch set to tape, does it connect to tape 1 or 2? What do you mean it doesn't like tape to tape? That's how you record from one tape player to another, is it not true?

Anyway, there may not be all that many people still messing around with tape recorder, so it may be an issue to most.

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2007, 06:49 pm »
Hey Rusty,

I pulled out my old Carver preamp and it also accepted 2 tape decks but was set up with 4 buttons.
2 buttons to monitor either tape deck and 2 buttons to dub from tape1 to 2, or from tape2 to 1. If you want to tape some jazz from your tuner, leave the rocker switch on source and just hit the record on your tape. Is that helpful, or am I missing the point.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2007, 09:00 pm »
Tape 1 input to tape 2 monitor is fine.  Tape 1 input to tape 1 monitor will result in motorboating, squealing, etc.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:02 am »
Martyo,
I have no problem during recording, but if you want to monitor what's going in by hitting the input button on the recorder, motorboating and pegging the meters. Preamp should allow us to monitor what's going into the recorder during recording from the source, and allow us to monitor the recording during recording. but that's not the case with the AVA preamps.

Dan Kolton,
I have never used tape 1 input to tape 1 monitor, I always leave the selector switch on source, the only time I put the selector switch on tape 1 or 2 is during tape play back. I have never used the input/tape rocker switch on the AVA preamp. I think the AVA preamp tape function is wired differently from the other preamps.

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2007, 11:30 am »
Okay Rusty, got it. You want to monitor while your recording. Leave the selector knob at the source you are recording and move the small switch to the appropriate tape 1 or 2 and then switch the input/tape rocker switch from tape. If your tape out is hooked to the appropriate tape in on the preamp you can rock that switch back and forth between your fm jazz source and the recording you are making.  :)

rustneversleeps

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:03 pm »
Martyo,

Just want to be clear, here's what I did:

AVA preamp setting are as following:

rocker switches are in default position, meaning tape 1, input, and stereo.

selector switch in source position, tuner, phono and etc.

My high end reel to reel recorders, (2 of them), switch set in " monitor" position, and that works fine for monitoring the recording.

But when try to check the signal level going into the recorder by hitting the switch to input, motorboating starts, and meters are pegged.

What's wrong? I should be able to setting the recording level by having the tape recorder in "pause, record" before the recording starts, when levels are set correctly, then start the recording.

All preamps and receivers that I used in the past had no problem, but the AVA preamp.

martyo

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:37 pm »
But when try to check the signal level going into the recorder by hitting the switch to input, motorboating starts, and meters are pegged.
For monitoring tape 1, Tape1-Tape2 rocker switch to TAPE 1 and input-tape rocker switch to TAPE and of course big selector knob stays at whatever your recording. If that doesn't do it, maybe a call in to Frank.

I always liked reel to reels, what kind do you have.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:49 am »
I have a Pioneer RT-909, and a RT-701. I used to have a RT-707, but traded it in for a RT-909 back in the mid to late 80's.

The sound quality from these recorders are surprisingly good, I couldn't tell the difference between the recording and the source material (well, maybe very little, if I listen hard enough). Pioneer really committed to build quality recorders at that time, and they look real cool too.

I don't do a lot of recording, I stocked up a bunch of NOS still sealed reel to reel during the time when every stores trying to get rid of them because no one's buying them.

A system is not complete without a reel to reel.

martyo

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2007, 11:28 am »
Cool. A bunch of us started our journey with Pioneer 9100 integrated amps. Back in the day Pioneer did make some very nice looking gear.

Did you get your recording/monitoring straightened out?

rustneversleeps

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:58 pm »
I haven't tried it yet, I usually pick out a bunch of LPs and put them all on tape at one time. When I do it again, I'll try your suggested preamp setting and see how it go.

I replaced the pinch rollers and the drive belt in the RT-909, I feel like an old time technician again, I am surprised I can still buy parts like these directly from Pioneer, sadly, many parts for this recorder are no longer made.

If you guys know a source where I can get an new alignment tape, please let me know