SMART module

romandoc

• http://romandoc.com/
SMART module
« on: 23 Sep 2007, 08:15 am »
Instead of having the Isabella play for only 6 hours in high quality battery mode, why not use a double set of batteries and a smarter SMART module to switch between the battery sets automatically so you can play off a battery set while the other one is charging. This way you'll always have high quality battery power without having to put up with the limited amount of time allowed by the single set of batteries. Sometimes 6 hours is really not enough. That would be something. Same for 30.2.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: SMART module
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2007, 12:09 pm »
Instead of having the Isabella play for only 6 hours in high quality battery mode, why not use a double set of batteries and a smarter SMART module to switch between the battery sets automatically so you can play off a battery set while the other one is charging. This way you'll always have high quality battery power without having to put up with the limited amount of time allowed by the single set of batteries. Sometimes 6 hours is really not enough. That would be something. Same for 30.2.

Hi romandoc,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

Adding another set of batteries is going to require larger enclosures and I don't wish to go this route. 

However, I am considering a few options for those who are interested in longer play time between charges. 

1) Possibly the use of an ac power adapter for non-critical listening.  For those who need more time because of background listening or whatever the case, the ac power adapter approach should do the trick.  If I go this route, I am going to use a switch that switches both the +24V and GND of the powe adapter, so there is total isolation of it when running on clean SLA power.

2) The other approach is that I can offer an external battery power supply to go with the Isabella for those who need more play time between charges.  This would be able to go at least 12 hours per charge.  I haven't decided which way I am going to go yet.  I need to figure this all out and I'll keep you all posted.

Regarding the Signature 30.2 and 70.2, these will easily be able to play for longer than 12 hours between charges with their internal batteries, so there really is no need for the ideas mentioned above.   

ALL the new products (30.2, 70.2, and Isabella) will feature a new style charger.  It is 24V and it charges 4x faster than the older Signature 30 and 70 style charger. 

Best regards,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2007, 12:28 am by Vinnie R. »