Tchaikovsky Piano Trio - Live Chamber music

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:43 pm »
Got to hear Tchaikovsky's Piano Trio chamber music in an old  church building Last night in Charlotte. Featuring the Charlotte Symphony Concert Master (violin), the 1st Cellist, and a touring piano master.

Interesting piece. I was trashed in the 1800s when it came out, by the Russian musical 'elite' of the day. Then it became more popular and really highly praised. The Rachmoninov Piano Trio was written as a tribute to this one. A very complex piece with many variations and some interesting 'novelties' such as the 'music box' effect.

The venue was not ideal as the piano seemed muffled by the alcove at the front of the auditorium they played in. The tones of the violin and cello were wonderful and there was a more near filed effect for me at 20 yards away. All in all a wonderful experience on a hot humid day at the end of the summer. ( It didn't hurt that it was free and parking was free if you got there early enough). THis is a series for the fall and I will fdefinitely be there for more free live chamber music!

Went to the library and checked out the the CD of this work. Anyone have suggestions for a good recording/performance?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:29 pm »
Here you go:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2003, 04:41 pm »
thanks!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2003, 05:09 am »
Curios to know what you think of the Shostakovich trio too - definitely not pretty music, but Shostakovich's chamber music touches on rawer emotions (anger, pain, sarcasm) than almost anyone else.  Not easy to listen to, but wow what and experience.