FS - Teres platter and Bearing SOLD

randytsuch

FS - Teres platter and Bearing SOLD
« on: 20 Sep 2007, 05:26 am »
SOLD
Decided to change from an interest check to a sale,

Looking for $650 plus shipping and paypal fees.

A couple of years ago, I bought an acrylic Teres platter and bearing on Audiogon.
I was planning to build a DIY Teres, but it has not happened yet, and not sure if it every will at this point.

I paid $650 for it.  At the time, I emailed Teres, and they said it could be upgraded to the lead filled version, for a fee.  I probably still have the email, but I am not sure if they would still upgrade it or not, they don't even offer acrylic platters anymore.
Seems like they still sell bearings, but you can't just buy a platter and bearing anymore.  That's why I am a little hesitant to sell this, if I sell it, I probably could not replace it, and would never be able to build a DIY Teres TT.

Randy
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2007, 02:17 am by randytsuch »

TheChairGuy

Re: IC - Teres platter and Bearing
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:31 pm »
Hey Randy - good to see you again, stranger  :thumb:

Never love what can't love you back - just sell it to whoever you can if you need the cash, there's always another something around the corner to trip your future fancy.

Regards, John

mark@marktwain

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:33 pm »
How many dollars are you thinkin, that is if you decide to let it go?

Mark

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2007, 02:03 pm »
How many dollars are you thinkin, that is if you decide to let it go?

Mark

Looking to get what I paid for it, $650.

Randy

randytsuch

Re: FS - Teres platter and Bearing
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007, 05:15 am »
Pics here
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery

You will get exactly what is in these pictures.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:24 pm »
And for the buyer, it's not hard to fill with shot if you have a drill press and a forstner bit. I'd buy this if I didn't already have a Teres. Good luck Randy.

mike

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:39 pm »
Hey Mike,

How did you go about capping the shot filled cavities?

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2007, 04:39 pm »

here is the platter

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007, 06:48 pm »

Scott,

I used some circles I cut from hardboard and epoxy. This wouldn't look as nice on a clear platter though all that is really visible is the shot in the holes. For an acrylic platter I would get some 2" dia acrylic rod from McMaster. They actually offer it in disc's but they want like $5.00 each and you need 12 of them. Considerably less expensive would be to buy a 6" length and cut the discs with a hack saw. A 6" length of 2" clear acrylic is $8.13. 'Course for your $60 you don't have to cut them and they would all be the same thickness/weight. :)

Sorry Randy.                  Please buy Randy's platter!

randytsuch

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:21 am »

Scott,

I used some circles I cut from hardboard and epoxy. This wouldn't look as nice on a clear platter though all that is really visible is the shot in the holes. For an acrylic platter I would get some 2" dia acrylic rod from McMaster. They actually offer it in disc's but they want like $5.00 each and you need 12 of them. Considerably less expensive would be to buy a 6" length and cut the discs with a hack saw. A 6" length of 2" clear acrylic is $8.13. 'Course for your $60 you don't have to cut them and they would all be the same thickness/weight. :)

Sorry Randy.                  Please buy Randy's platter!

Yeah Mike, thanks for screwing up my ad  :wink:
actually, I really did not mind, the more posts a for sale ad has, the more times people are likely to see it.
But, it did not sell here.  I also put an ad at diyaudio, and that's where I sold it.  I just put the ad up on Monday, and I had two offers for it, at asking.
Now, I don't feel so bad for all the money I have been spending lately on my HT setup.

Randy

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:51 am »
Glad you sold the platter and bearing Randy  :thumb: I bet that made somebody really happy  :green:

Since you sold it I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread just a little bit  :lol:

Thanks Mike,

I may just do that upgrade. Over the weekend I tweaked the Opera a little bit. Some time back I bought a belt and pulley from Chris and I finally just got around to installing it. The Opera used the fishing line drive. Nice but definitely not a belt. The other thing I did was after talking to Pierre Lurne of Audio Mecca was I raised the hight of the pulley up to the point of the thrust block of the bearing assembly.

OMG was there a difference  :o The belt height change goes back to Pierre's, look for the obvious. Get the belt up to the top of the bearing and you will naturally reduce friction since you aren't pulling the bottom of the platter sideways  :duh:  Don't have a clue why I didn't notice that one before. It was as plain as the nose on my face.

Anyway, the table now has even more 'jump' and better speed stability. I imagine the extra mass in the platter will do even more for speed and pitch. I'll probably do that one later this winter.

Thanks for the info about McMaster. I'll definitely order some.  :thumb:

randytsuch

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2007, 03:51 am »
Glad you sold the platter and bearing Randy  :thumb: I bet that made somebody really happy  :green:

Since you sold it I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread just a little bit  :lol:

Thanks Mike,

I may just do that upgrade. Over the weekend I tweaked the Opera a little bit. Some time back I bought a belt and pulley from Chris and I finally just got around to installing it. The Opera used the fishing line drive. Nice but definitely not a belt. The other thing I did was after talking to Pierre Lurne of Audio Mecca was I raised the hight of the pulley up to the point of the thrust block of the bearing assembly.

OMG was there a difference  :o The belt height change goes back to Pierre's, look for the obvious. Get the belt up to the top of the bearing and you will naturally reduce friction since you aren't pulling the bottom of the platter sideways  :duh:  Don't have a clue why I didn't notice that one before. It was as plain as the nose on my face.

Anyway, the table now has even more 'jump' and better speed stability. I imagine the extra mass in the platter will do even more for speed and pitch. I'll probably do that one later this winter.

Thanks for the info about McMaster. I'll definitely order some.  :thumb:

Hi Scott
Hijack away. :lol:
When I was seriously thinking about build a Teres, I did consider adding lead shot to the acrylic platter.  It is supposed to sound better that way, heavier, and the lead would also dampen things.  But, I was worried about throwing the platter out of balance, and I would not be able to balance the platter after adding the shot to it.

Good luck
Randy

mark@marktwain

Re: FS - Teres platter and Bearing SOLD
« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:38 pm »
The other thing I did was after talking to Pierre Lurne of Audio Mecca was I raised the hight of the pulley up to the point of the thrust block of the bearing assembly.

Oooooo good tip Scott, I'll keep that in mind when I build my table. The Opera is better now than it was WOW!  :o It must be smokin. :drool:

Randy, I would have been all over this platter and bearing If I hadn't already picked up a clearaudio 3" acrylic platter and bearing for my diy table. I can't believe someone here didn't grab it up!

Mark

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2007, 04:06 pm »
But, I was worried about throwing the platter out of balance, and I would not be able to balance the platter after adding the shot to it.

I was worried about this as well. I weighed the shot very carefully so that each chamber would have exactly the same amount in it. I also created a drill guide in Visio so that I was sure that all my holes would be on the same radius and that they would be exactly 30* apart. Also used the depth stop on the drill press so they would all be the same depth. You can say I was just a bit concerned about the balance. :)

Glad you sold the platter, someone should be very happy.

randytsuch

Re: FS - Teres platter and Bearing SOLD
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:03 pm »
The other thing I did was after talking to Pierre Lurne of Audio Mecca was I raised the hight of the pulley up to the point of the thrust block of the bearing assembly.

Oooooo good tip Scott, I'll keep that in mind when I build my table. The Opera is better now than it was WOW!  :o It must be smokin. :drool:

Randy, I would have been all over this platter and bearing If I hadn't already picked up a clearaudio 3" acrylic platter and bearing for my diy table. I can't believe someone here didn't grab it up!

Mark

Nobody here indicated any interest in the platter/bearing.  It sold quickly as soon as I posted an ad at diyaudio.  I was going to use audiogon as a last resort, but did not have to go there.  I bought it from audiogon.

BTW, instead of posting all this information on a for sale thread, I started a thread at the Vinyl circle for you guys to post at.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45660.0

Randy