Acoustic fabric/wallpaper?

samplesj

Acoustic fabric/wallpaper?
« on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:25 pm »
Anyone have any REAL measurements of this stuff?

One of the forum mfr is constantly recommending this stuff.  I tried to point out it could only seem to have limited effect (based on thickness) and asked for some measurements and was told to p*ss off.  I just saw it recommended again, so I'm curious if anyone else has experience using it.

If its just a low grade hf absorber we need to sticky a post that explains it will skew the room response by sucking down the hf too much in relation to the lf.

The funniest part of all of this is that this user would be one of the first to jump someone if they talked about cables mattering.  Its interesting how some people always inisist the other person prove something (IE you prove this cable works, but also you prove this wallpaper doesn't)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Acoustic fabric/wallpaper?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:35 pm »
I have always thought that the best covering is no covering for acoustic substance behind it.  So the best acoustic  covering is an acoustically porous one.  Isn't that why they use burlap?  I just don't see how any fabric/wallpaper would absorb anything on it's own given it's thinness.  It could reflect, however, and that is not a good thing unless it's covering a diffuser.   

Now, can you link me to the acoustic fabric site?
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2007, 05:09 pm by woodsyi »

samplesj

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:44 pm »
I have always thought that the best covering is no covering for acoustic substance behind it.  So the best acoustic  covering is a acoustically porous one.  Isn't that why they use burlap?  I just don't see how any fabric/wallpaper would absorb anything on it's own given it's thinness.  It could reflect, however, and that is not a good thing unless it's covering a diffuser.   

Now, can you link me to the acoustic fabric site?
You said pretty much what I did the first time this vendor mentioned it. 

Sorry I don't have any links.  I've asked for links before and told that I'd have to go to the wallpaper store myself.

I have no interest in this stuff myself at all, but I do think we need to show it is or isn't effective.  That way this vendors customers don't just blindly follow his advice and waste a ton of money if its bogus OR if its real then we've all got a new tool to use to fix our rooms.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2007, 01:49 pm »
Its interesting how some people always inisist the other person prove something (IE you prove this cable works, but also you prove this wallpaper doesn't)

Just to be clear, this "proof" thing works in only one direction because some things are impossible to prove and you can't prove a negative. If I say the moon is made of green cheese, you'd be hard pressed to prove me wrong. Or James Randi's example that you cannot prove there's no Easter Bunny. So logically speaking, the proper way to deal with this is to put the burden of proof on the one making the claim.

You say that curtains work as acoustic treatment? Prove it! :green:

Likewise, if someone says their cable sounds better even though it measures the same as other cables, they have to prove it too. :duh:

--Ethan

samplesj

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2007, 02:08 pm »
Its interesting how some people always inisist the other person prove something (IE you prove this cable works, but also you prove this wallpaper doesn't)

Just to be clear, this "proof" thing works in only one direction because some things are impossible to prove and you can't prove a negative. If I say the moon is made of green cheese, you'd be hard pressed to prove me wrong. Or James Randi's example that you cannot prove there's no Easter Bunny. So logically speaking, the proper way to deal with this is to put the burden of proof on the one making the claim.

You say that curtains work as acoustic treatment? Prove it! :green:

Likewise, if someone says their cable sounds better even though it measures the same as other cables, they have to prove it too. :duh:

--Ethan
Sure, but this person is saying that its always the other person that must prove.  IE: They said the wallpaper works and so I was supposed to prove it didn't.

I also noticed this morning that it was not rerecommended recently.  I guess that means it isn't as important to dispel the belief in magic wallpaper, but it still ought to be done evnetually.  Someone bumped an old thread and I just didn't notice that the last mention of it was last Novemember.