Treating left-to-right sloped ceilings

brj

Treating left-to-right sloped ceilings
« on: 17 Sep 2007, 10:51 pm »
What additional aspects of room treatment does one need to consider when dealing with a ceiling that slopes from left-to-right across your listening field?  Put another way, how should one alter the ceiling treatments when your ceiling is higher over your right speaker than your left?  In the situation I'm envisioning, the right side of the room also opens up to various degrees to adjoining rooms (and the ceiling keeps rising to a second story)?

Sorry, no clarifying pictures handy, as it isn't my house.  Ceiling treatments are considered beyond just the traditional first reflection point due to the presence of hardwood floors.

Thanks for any input!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Treating left-to-right sloped ceilings
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2007, 11:12 pm »
Where it doesn't open to the other space, straddle where the sloped ceiling meets the walls.

No matter what, you're going to have a shifting of the soundstage.  Best you can do is also treat up high on the walls on the higher side to help kill some of those 2nd reflections too to minimize the effect.  You can also consider diffusion on the ceiling and higher on the high side wall.

Bryan

brj

Re: Treating left-to-right sloped ceilings
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:38 am »
Thanks Bryan.

To be clear, the higher side is the one that opens to the rest of the house.  It continues up to the ridge beam that runs the entire length of the living spaces.  As a result, there is no wall/ceiling edge there to treat.  (There is another ridge beam through the proposed listening area that could be treated that way, however.)

Basically, the right side toward the front wall is completely open to a smallish dining room, whose own ceiling is nothing more than the floor of a loft type area above, which is turn open to the vaulted roof of the home above it.  To the right hand side, further back toward the listening position, are the stairs to that loft (and the two guest bedrooms).

Clear as mud, I know...

Of course, a general answer to this type of question is all I was really looking for in the first place.  I've seen it in enough other homes that I figure some type of approach must be known.