Anyone near Cincinnati own a pair of OB speakers?

TIC

Anyone near Cincinnati own a pair of OB speakers?
« on: 16 Sep 2007, 04:21 am »
I'm really curious to hear a pair of simple OB speakers. Anyone near Cincinnati have a pair they would care to demo? If so, I would be happy to bring over a couple of interesting amps for you to hear. I have the Red Wine Audio Reali-T (Clari-T, plus non-OS DAC in one chassis) and a custom Larry Moore built 2A3 SET amp.

Enjoy,

TIC

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Anyone near Cincinnati own a pair of OB speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2007, 08:23 pm »
Hi,

Jeff Bookwalter lives very near Columbus and he owns a set of Orions and Thor subwoofers. I've been trying to get down there (I live in Cleveland) but work and family activities keep delaying my meeting with Jeff. A great guy and from what I've heard, a great host as well. His contact info is on Linkwitz' website. If you get to hear them, post a review.

I've heard the NaO II loudspeakers in PA but haven't heard the Orions yet. The NaO II's were wonderful, best of all was his cardiod subwoofer instead of the standard H-frame. In addition, I went up to Denny's place to listen to the GR Research OB-5's in Toronto. Another excellent loudspeaker. So far the OB2X, OB7, Linkwitz Orion and NaO II dipoles are on my short list as far as dipoles go. They all are different enough from a design standpoint however. The only common denominator is the dipole tweeter/midrange.

Best,
Anand.

TIC

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2007, 01:42 pm »
Anand,

Thanks for the response. I'll look into Jeff's setup.

I'm mostly looking for a very simple OB setup, like the simple "driver on a board". I have a small-medium room and want a very simple setup, without the need for a subwoofer (if possible). The easiest thing to do may be to just buy a pair of Hawthorne SIs and try them installed into a simple baffle. If I love them, great. If not, I could just sell them and not be out too much money.

So, if there is anyone near Cinci who has a pair of OBs, I would love to hear them.

Enjoy,

TIC

microbus67

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:44 pm »
Hello TIC,
Sorry for the long delay, but I just found this post.
I'm in Cincinnati and am finishing up(hopefully this week) a pair of JE Labs-style OBs with single Altec 412C's and a top/rear directed Vifa 1" silk dome XO'd with 3.3uF(@~8750Hz) of PIO.
Driving with a 6922/SE KT88, through a passive stepped attenuator(Also working on a 6SN7 gain stage among a hundred other things).
Would genuinely welcome the opportunity to listen to these OBs with any/all other amps.
Thanks!
microbus67(Yep, a '67 Splitty : )   

Magnetar

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2008, 04:47 pm »
I live south of Cleveland / Akron a few miles off the highway.

It's pretty easy to make a 'simple' open baffle to see if you like it.

To get SOTA performance it takes some work. If you want to experience how far you can go with dipoles come listen to mine.

bluemartini

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2008, 01:27 am »
I finished MJK's Open Baffle this summer using the Fostex 103 and Alpha 15.  If you want to have a listen I live just north of Cincinnati in West Chester.