Shindo Aurieges L with new Sig 30.2 ?

eril

Shindo Aurieges L with new Sig 30.2 ?
« on: 14 Sep 2007, 02:28 am »

Has anyone tried the Siggies (30 or 70) with a Shindo pre-amp.
I wonder if this will give me the best of both worlds.
My music is all acoustic and 90% female vocal.
Speakers will probably be De Vore Super 8's.

Any ideas, thoughts, relevant experience would be appreciated.

IronLion

Re: Shindo Aurieges L with new Sig 30.2 ?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2007, 02:33 am »
I don't think anybody has a Sig 30.2 yet, so nobody can really predict how the two might pair up.  Based off of how Vinnie described the 30.2's sound, the "best of both worlds" might be found just by running the Sig 30.2 directly from your source...I should be getting my 30.2 back (partial upgrade) sometime next week, I'll post impressions when I do.   

eril

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2007, 02:50 am »
Sorry - I understand the .2 versions are not yet available.
I was hoping for anyone to comment on their experience with the earlier version: Signature 30, or Signature 70's, as I think that will give an indication while I decide what to do, or wait to hear other's experience on the new .2 versions.
I imagine Vinnie can also comment on whether the .2 version will make much difference other than what he has stated in his release of the .2 series.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2007, 11:53 am »

Has anyone tried the Siggies (30 or 70) with a Shindo pre-amp.
I wonder if this will give me the best of both worlds.
My music is all acoustic and 90% female vocal.
Speakers will probably be De Vore Super 8's.

Any ideas, thoughts, relevant experience would be appreciated.

Hi Eril,

The Shindo Aurieges L works very well with the Signature 30 and 70s... I've heard this combo and enjoyed it very much (with DeVore Super 8s, and the Nines when they were in prototype form).  I have not heard the Shindo preamp with the new Signature 30.2 or 70.2.

Quote from: IronLion
Based off of how Vinnie described the 30.2's sound, the "best of both worlds" might be found just by running the Sig 30.2 directly from your source...I should be getting my 30.2 back (partial upgrade) sometime next week, I'll post impressions when I do.

IronLion brings up a good point.  If you already own the Shindo, I  still recommend that you try the Sig 30 (or 30.2) with and without it.  You won't know if you like the sound better or worse with it until you try. 

If you want a tubed preamp that is completely ran on SLA battery power (with built-in non-oversampling dac and matching enclosure to the Signature 30.2, the Isabella is coming and is also sonically a perfect match with the 30.2 and 70.2!).  I'll be posting more details about the Isabella in the next few days...

Best regards,

Vinnie

eril

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2007, 03:13 am »
Thanks Vinnie

I also emailed Michael Lavorgna at 6moons following Srajan's suggestion.
Michael replied immediately.
He said: "I own the DeVore gibbon super 8s and the Signature 30. I also had the Shindo Aurieges-L here for a while so I have listened to this exact combo. I ended up buying the Shindo Monbrison in part because I mainly listen to vinyl.

To answer your question – yes. In my opinion, this makes for a very nice system. The Red Wine and Shindo gear is near-silent and the Shindo pre adds what I hear as a more natural sense of body, presence and timbre to the presentation. The Sig 30 easily drives the super 8s. The only caveat I’d mention is if you have a very large room, I’d suggest moving up to a larger speaker like the DeVore Nines."

Thanks to Srajan and Michael

Vinnie - do you think the added sound quality in the new 30.2 might  compensate for what Michael has said?

Thanks
Eril

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2007, 12:58 pm »
I will be trying a 30.2 amp + Isabella later in the year when Vinnie has them in production and a set to spare. Seeing I've got a number of fine tube pres in house, I'll be able to report on how close the V man came to them (not that they run off batteries so who knows, perhaps Vinnie will knock another one outa the park)  :green:

Here's the thing. If the 30.2 is indeed warmer than the 30, you may not need/want any additional action from an active pre in front. It sounds cooky that a premium passive attenuator on the 30 could sound better than a good active preamp but last time I checked out that very issue, I reckoned you'd have to spend about 3K in a preamp to come out ahead...

That makes it interesting for the Isabella but then of course it's also an NOS DAC so it packs a lot of features...

OrJazzM

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2007, 09:35 pm »
Srajan, Judging by the quality of your reviews, the Sig 30.2/Isabella review will defintely be a must read!  Will you be using the F4 for comparisons?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2007, 07:06 pm »
Vinnie - do you think the added sound quality in the new 30.2 might  compensate for what Michael has said?

Thanks
Eril

Hi Eril,

Yes, the 30.2 certainly offers "more natural sense of body, presence and timbre to the presentation" as Michael describes with using his Shindo preamp.  However, using a really good tubed preamp in front such as the Shindo (or upcoming Isabella) with the 30.2 power amp is going to be sublime!

With or without a preamp, the sound of the 30.2 and 70.2 is going to make you drool  :drool:

Quote from: Srajan Ebaen
If the 30.2 is indeed warmer than the 30, you may not need/want any additional action from an active pre in front. It sounds cooky that a premium passive attenuator on the 30 could sound better than a good active preamp but last time I checked out that very issue, I reckoned you'd have to spend about 3K in a preamp to come out ahead...

That makes it interesting for the Isabella but then of course it's also an NOS DAC so it packs a lot of features...

Hi Srajan,

I really looking forward to sending you the Signature 30.2 power amp + Isabella preamp combo!  8) The 30.2 will be out early October, and I'm hoping the Isabella will be ready a month later.  I'll send them both to you together... you'll be the first to review this combo!

While I am voicing the Isabella to be a perfect match with the Signature 30.2 and 70.2, it will also be a fantastic sounding tubed preamp...period.  The Isabella will be completely off-the-grid running on SLA battery power, and will NOT use any dc-dc converters for the tubes.  The built-in non-oversampling dac is going to change the way you view "digital music" in that it is not going to sound anything like digital.  With a USB input (direct to I2S), using a computer as your source is going to blow your mind.  For those who prefer to use a CD player, DVD player, SB2, SB3, Olive Music Server (hopefully modded on SLA  :wink:), or any other source that outputs SPDIF, the Isabella's internal dac will also accept coax or optical spdif. 

I'll be posting more Isabella details very soon (by tomorrow).

-Vinnie

fu_man

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:50 am »
Hi Srajan,

I really looking forward to sending you the Signature 30.2 power amp + Isabella preamp combo!   The 30.2 will be out early October, and I'm hoping the Isabella will be ready a month later.  I'll send them both to you together... you'll be the first to review this combo!

Given that Srajan also loves to tease (the "preview" reviews) why not send a 30.2 for review  first  then with the Issy' as a follow up?  I'm sure  Srajan will  do a thorough review and  will  evaluate the  30.2  on it's own merits, and  in comparison to the Sig 30, and then can follow up later with the  30.2  paired  with the Issy...   

That  might  create a  bit  more exposure  of RWA  at  6 moons... but the obvious benefit is for us impatient readers/ owners who just can't wait!

OrJazzM

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2007, 06:31 pm »
Hi Srajan,

I really looking forward to sending you the Signature 30.2 power amp + Isabella preamp combo!   The 30.2 will be out early October, and I'm hoping the Isabella will be ready a month later.  I'll send them both to you together... you'll be the first to review this combo!

Given that Srajan also loves to tease (the "preview" reviews) why not send a 30.2 for review  first  then with the Issy' as a follow up?  I'm sure  Srajan will  do a thorough review and  will  evaluate the  30.2  on it's own merits, and  in comparison to the Sig 30, and then can follow up later with the  30.2  paired  with the Issy...   

That  might  create a  bit  more exposure  of RWA  at  6 moons... but the obvious benefit is for us impatient readers/ owners who just can't wait!

I second that.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2007, 02:47 pm »
Hi Srajan,

Hi fu_man,

I'd like to let Srajan decide on this.  If I send him a Signature 30.2 power amp before the Isabella, he will be using it with another preamp.  The Isabella is going to be *THE* preamp of choice for for the 30.2, so it might make more sense for him to review them together.

Again, I really would like Srajan to decide what he'd like to review and in what order.  I'm just very thankful for his interest in reviewing the new RWA products!  :bowdown:

Best regards,

Vinnie