Home multiroom sound setup

knut_the_viking

Home multiroom sound setup
« on: 12 Sep 2007, 09:17 pm »
Greetings!

I'm trying to make sense of all the various offerings that promise streaming media to and from just about any device.
There seems to be little in the way of useful information on the vendor webpages, so I figured I could post here instead.

My idea is to have music -no video- streamed to and from various places in the house. Preferably single-vendor plumbing, to keep it simple.

I have a variety of SOURCES: PC, Mac, iPod, Satelite radio, network file server or music server (not yet in place). Internet radio or FM radio may be an option.
My music is mostly ripped to the new iMac, in iTunes format. I'm getting a new PC and will likely rerip or convert to something with Win Media player.

I will consume the music with a variety of DESTINATIONS: Home stereo(small living room), tv/HT (main living room), bedside speakers, home office

The idea is that the "system" can utilize the files I have on the Mac, or PC or get them straight from a network storage device, and stream to a box that I will connect to speakers, or the main stereo or the HT system.

Ideally, different destinations could play different music (playlists or Internet radio) at the same time. It should be possible to play the same music to all destinations also, of course.

For the main stereo (Not yet acquired), I'll likely be getting a Naim CD5i, Naim Nait 5i and Spendor S8e. I am open to a separate DAC converter to handle the streaming from the system here.

For the HT system, I am less open to a separate DAC, the system should be able to output analog that I can use directly.

Additionally, some small device with receiver and amp will be useful for bedside speakers. (Alarm clock functionality would be awesome, too)

My Home Internet is DSL, I have a 802.11g (54Mbps) access point, which CAN be used for piggybacking this traffic, a self-contained radio/data network would be acceptable. My home wireless phone is 5.8GHz, so it shouldn't interfere.

I've tried looking around to find something that could fit the bill, the SONOS system seems to come very close.
I don't know anything about the offerings from Squeezebox, Logitech or Creative, or other vendors.

If someone can opine on the subject, I would be most grateful. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for VIDEO capability. Just streaming of music or Internet radio or Satellite radio.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance
Knut