So, Just What Is the Correct Amount of Putty for An RM1?

thegage

I've had my RM1s for a few years and have gone through a number of amplifiers with them, and so have done a lot of PR tuning. Also, my youngest kids seem to find it amusing from time to time to walk off with stray pieces of putty lying around the listening room while I was dialing things in, so I'm pretty certain that the putty amount on my PRs combined with what is on my "tuning shelf" is no longer anywhere near what was put on at the factory. I'm also pretty sure that when I vitrified my PRs as per Brian's recommendations (with wood glue) I took off a pea-sized amount or so to balance the added mass.

Having just inserted yet another new amplifier into my system I thought I'd start from scratch with putting the factory-installed amount of putty on my PRs and then tuning from there, but I can't find anywhere what the factory-installed amount is. I've seen both 4" and 8" of Mortite, also some guesses at what the weight of the Moritie is, but nothing seems definitive.

To get some idea of where things stand I pulled the slots off my speakers and dug all of the putty out of the center of both PRs, then weighed it on my digital scale I use for setting VTF on my vinyl rig. The putty in one PR weighed 5.6 grams, in the other 5.3 grams. I also weighed 4" of Mortite and got 1.9 grams, which seems to counter the 4" claim that JC has posted--unless I wasn't using the right type of Mortite.

It seems to me that 6 grams on each PR would be about the right place to start, but can anyone shed some light on what is the right weight of Mortite installed at the factory?

John K.

mjosef

Re: So, Just What Is the Correct Amount of Putty for An RM1?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2007, 03:21 am »
Hey JohnK...I think I might have asked that same Q some time ago...I (re)started with 8" and ended up removing about 1/2"...this is after I vitrified the p/r's and lined the walls with BlackHole5(?).
I tried 4", 6", 8" and 9"...got the best result with 8". However, my RM1s has the woven fiber woofers, and my results may not apply to the polycones version.
A suggested weight would surely be more accurate than length, since the mortite can stretch when uncoiling from the roll.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:44 pm »
Hi John,

We have a LARGE group of "stickies" and one of them deals with speaker set up

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18067.0

At the very bottom of the set up stickie, you will find a list of suggested coiled putty rope lengths for the models that have PR's.

thegage

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:29 am »
Hi John,
We have a LARGE group of "stickies" and one of them deals with speaker set up
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18067.0
At the very bottom of the set up stickie, you will find a list of suggested coiled putty rope lengths for the models that have PR's.
Thanks for the reply, but that was one of the questions of my original post: in the thread you link to it says,
"Here are B's suggestions, should you wish to "de-putty" and begin "fresh"...
RM1 = 4" "

As I noted, I weighed 4" of Mortite and it was about 1.9 grams, but when I "de-putty"ed a speaker I got about 5.3 grams of putty, or almost 3 times what B suggested. That's why I am confused.

And just to be clear: I removed all of the putty from the PR, including that which was lightly embedded in hot glue. That may have been the wrong thing to do, but do it I did; the meaning of "de-putty" is not very clear.

John K.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 11:00 am by thegage »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2007, 08:42 pm »
If you have removed all putty from the PR,, measure out 8", attach with the hotmelt and then remove a fingernail full at a time to taste.

This would also be a good time to "vitrify" the cone by painting with Elmer's front and back.

thegage

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:48 am »
If you have removed all putty from the PR,, measure out 8", attach with the hotmelt and then remove a fingernail full at a time to taste.

This would also be a good time to "vitrify" the cone by painting with Elmer's front and back.
Brian,

Thanks for the clarification. I've already done the vitrification thing.

John K.

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:49 am »
TO make things a little more 'muddled'...I have rope caulk from two different brands, Ace and Frost King...8" of each brand weighed in at 3.8g and 4.6g. respectively.
The Ace brand color is closer to what originally came on the p/r, almond, whereas the Frost King looks more gray.  :roll: