Budget solution for making wired USB drive wireless

slow_down

Budget solution for making wired USB drive wireless
« on: 12 Sep 2007, 12:22 am »
I'm using a SB3, running slimserver on a laptop and with all my music on a 250GB hard drive sitting inside a generic enclosure (outputs are USB and eSATA).  I'd like to be able to keep that external hard drive tucked away in another room and not have to plug it into my laptop all the time, but am not interested in getting a full-fledged expensive NAS setup going either.  Anyone have any recommendations for a wireless access point or something like that that will make my hard drive available on my wireless network?  I have no problems keeping my laptop powered all the time.

Also, my hard drive enclosure (it's made by Rosewill) has a fan feeding a big top vent and another fanless vent in the back.  The fan is controlled only by a manual switch.  Any thoughts on how stupid it would be for me to simply leave it off?  I'd keep it in a well ventilated area, and like I mentioned, it's got a pretty big vent where the fan is - 3" diameter right smack on top of the drive itself.  The drive is used exclusively for the SB3.

Crimson

Re: Budget solution for making wired USB drive wireless
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2007, 10:58 am »
Assuming you already have a wireless network (with a 4-port wireless access point), you can add this device from Linsys which let's you add your own HD's as part of a NAS:

http://www.buy.com/prod/linksys-nslu2-network-storage-link-for-usb-2-0-disk-drives/q/loc/101/10361254.html

Another option might be the Buffalo Technology LinkStation Live NAS units which start under $200.

slow_down

Re: Budget solution for making wired USB drive wireless
« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2007, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion with the Linksys unit - that's a definite possibility.  Ideally though I'd like a true wireless solution.  The linksys model you recommended still needs to plug into an ethernet port somewhere, so I'd need to keep it right by my wireless router.  I'd prefer something more along the lines of a wireless print server - except for hard drives.  Isn't there some device out there with wireless g capability and a USB port that would bring a hard drive onto my network?