Question for Steve - re: Mac and MSB Network

glaesemann

Question for Steve - re: Mac and MSB Network
« on: 11 Sep 2007, 10:13 pm »
Hi Steve,

I have a MSB Gold Link III with MSB Network. I am interested in having the MSB network Xport /MSB Network interface installed into a Mac computer. I get the impression that MSB does not have a lot of experience with computers. I gather you have a lot of experience with the Gold DAC and the MSB Network. Should I get one of your Off-Ramp units and have the Xport interface installed in it? I know the Xport handles all the clocking so is it redundant to use the Off-Ramp? If not Off-Ramp, what is you suggestion?

Also do you still mod the Gold Link III's ?

Thank you!

Tim

audioengr

Re: Question for Steve - re: Mac and MSB Network
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2007, 02:09 am »
Hi Steve,

I have a MSB Gold Link III with MSB Network. I am interested in having the MSB network Xport /MSB Network interface installed into a Mac computer. I get the impression that MSB does not have a lot of experience with computers. I gather you have a lot of experience with the Gold DAC and the MSB Network. Should I get one of your Off-Ramp units and have the Xport interface installed in it? I know the Xport handles all the clocking so is it redundant to use the Off-Ramp? If not Off-Ramp, what is you suggestion?

Also do you still mod the Gold Link III's ?

Thank you!

Tim

I could be wrong, but I believe the MSB network is just a version of I2S.  I have installed one in a DAC.  If so, then my Off-Ramp I2S may drive it.  Can I get any specs on the MSB network?

I dont mod the MSB DAC's anymore.

Steve N.

glaesemann

Re: Question for Steve - re: Mac and MSB Network
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2007, 11:22 pm »
MSB says it is a proprietary "network" interface. I don't understand why it is necessary to make I2S proprietary. Lack of an outside use standard?

Anyway I have given up on the MSB network idea, but I still hold out hope for an ethernet / I2S direct feed to the chip DAC.

Thanks!

Tim